14 - "Please be careful around him."

"Good party, right?"

Although I'd been left in a somewhat sombre mood after returning from the bank, I couldn't let me friends know something was wrong.

I knew to keep my mouth shut about Rhys taking me too. It would kill Ryan, and the last thing I needed right now was to cause an argument.

"Yeah," I smile, "sure."

Teagan raises her eyebrow sceptically. "Something is up with you."

"Nothing's up," I shrug. "I'm just...tired."

"You? Tired? You live for these beach parties."

"I guess I'm just not feeling it tonight," I mumble. "Maybe I sick of doing the same-old-same-old every weekend."

Teagan scoffs, laughing. "Okay, CeCe. Okay."

"What?"

"Something is up. That was a very un CeCe Cadigan thing to say."

"I'm fine, Tea," I sigh.

"No, you're not. Tell me what's happened. I'm your best friend. I won't tell the boys."

I laugh, leaning my head against her shoulder. We were currently sitting by the shore, letting the ocean hit the tips of our toes.

The boys were further up the beach, sitting around the huge campfire that Wesley had started tonight. My eyes land on Rhys Laderman as he talks quietly to Lucas before flickering to Ryan.

Despite this being an entire community kind of party, Ryan was glaring at Rhys like he didn't deserve to be here.

"I went to the bank today," I whisper to Teagan. "With Rhys."

Teagan's shoulders deflates against my head. "CeCe..."

"Don't start. I know what you think already."

"Please be careful around him. I know you think he's helping but you must also realise that—"

"He has a reputation? His friends are jerks? I know, Tea. I've been living in this town for over seventeen years too."