43 - "We need to go to the police station."

"Dory, you've tried five times already

"Dory, you've tried five times already. You're leaving here sober and that's final."

Two hours of torturous small talk and observing Dory stifling walking around as if he has a stick up his ass has kept me busy. Busy enough not to meet Rhys's gaze that invariably seems to follow me around the crowded room.

Besides our brief encounter earlier, I've been lucky enough to avoid him all evening. Either that, or he's decided it will be better not to cross me in a public place.

"But—but it's a different bartender!" Dory pouts at Tea, his eyes actively searching the bar as if his only hope is to get drunk.

"Quit whinging," I roll my eyes, drumming my fingers against the table we have somehow scored. Ryan sits to my right, hand draped liberally over the back of my chair. Tea is to my left, Dory sits opposite with Wes and Cameron.

I've caught many people giving me the stink eye when I'd virtually fallen into the chair, claiming the table as ours. It's one of the few left that don't already have a reservation sign.

I'm sure Tea and Cameron are playing footsies under the table. I suppress my gag reflex, leaning my chin in my hand.

"Is this almost over, then?" Dory sighs. "I'd like to get the fuck out of here. The wealth and big egos are making me nauseous."

"Good thing you're not drinking then," I retort, smirking. As the classy guy he is, he shoots me the middle finger.

"What are we even here for again?" Wesley questions. "I assumed you were going to do the rounds or something, CeCe. Dig up some useful information."

Truly, I had no plan. Spontaneity is my speciality. I always have a rough plan, but never an idea set in stone.

"All in due time," I remark, raising an eyebrow. "We haven't been here long enough yet. They haven't even announced who has won the election yet."

"You mean we have to stay for that?" Dory groans. "That won't happen until midnight."

"Precisely," I snort. "Now, shut up."