58 - "Just like old times"

"So you're really leaving?"

Abby sits across from mum and I. She's clasping mum's hand, smiling back at us brightly. Tears are gathering in the corners of her eyes as she nods.

"Yes," Abby whispers, "I'm finally getting out."

In the week since being released from hospital and being situated back home with mum, the adjustment had been harder than I'd thought. For her, it seemed almost as if she was lost. She'd spent so much time away that she didn't know how to start again.

The news that dad was in rehab clearly hurt her. She tried to mask the pain well, but I know my parents. She'd called him straight away, a phone call that had broken us all apart. But in the end, it will mend us again. For the first time in five years, we are whole.

"I'm so happy for you," my mother smiles, cupping Abby's cheek as a stray tear lands softly against her skin. "You deserve so much more than you've received."

I turn to mum now, staring at her kind eyes and sympathetic smile. So strong despite the nightmares that have been plaguing her sleep all week. I had laid with her every night, praying that I could act as some semblance in order to make her feel safe.

It's hard without dad here to support her too, but I know it's only right for him to continue in the clinic. We'd be able to visit this weekend for the first time.

"What does this mean for you and Max?" I ask.

"We're trying long distance," she brushes her dampened cheeks. "He's trying to get his roster changed so he can have weekends off. He'll be able to make the two hour drive to see me. Or, I'm sure eventually I'll come back to visit home."

Even as she says it, I see the apprehension in her eyes. Abby is leaving for a reason. She didn't need to return. She's moving forward for the first time in her life.

"I just want you to know," she continues, "that I am so grateful for you both. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have found the courage to come forward against Tom."

Laying in bed two nights ago with mum had caused her to release everything she'd been hiding. How after she'd walked out from Kevin Winter's house, Rebecca Laderman had hit her with her car. Xavier and Dylan and threatened her against speaking out about what had happened, even though mum wasn't going to. She was aware that it was an accident and that Rebecca was apologising profusely. She'd held my hand tight that night, telling me that she felt bad for Rebecca, that this town puts too much pressure on her.