13 - "Have you ever been in love, Cadigan?"

"Here we go

"Here we go..."

It's barely ten in the morning when Rhys pulls into my driveway. I peek through the curtains outlooking the street, watching as he leans against his car.

His arms are crossed over his chest as he looks out into the distance, away from me.

For the first time in a long time, he isn't wearing his baseball cap. I watch as the summer breeze ruffles his brown hair, obscuring his face.

I pull away from the curtain, moving towards the front door and stepping out into the heat. The door closes slowly behind me and I watch as Rhys meets my gaze.

"Morning," he speaks, his voice still husky from sleep.

"You sound tired," I observe, bypassing him without a second glance.

I reach for the door handle and he does the same, walking back to his side of the car.

"Didn't sleep much," he answers, shutting the door behind him and blocking out the world.

"Why?"

I was tired too. I could barely function, let alone think of some witty comeback for when he spoke to me.

"Just couldn't," he shrugs, his head swivelling round to face the back as he reverses.

"So you're one of those people who still glances out the back window despite having a built-in camera that does it for you?"

"I suppose I am," he grins, accelerating up the street.

My phone chimes and I pick it up, noticing a text from Tea.

What's on for today?

I cringe, putting the phone on silent and placing it back in my bag.

I hadn't told any of them what was happening today and I probably never would. Only if I was forced too. But I wasn't sure we'd find anything today that could help us.

"Just your boyfriend checking in?" Rhys remarks, pulling up at a stop sign.

"I don't have a boyfriend," I grumble, watching the ocean outside my window.