8 -"Stress-free summer"

"So you finally got a new lead, huh?"

Teagan and I worked at the only surf shop in New River. We'd both applied for the job last year and somehow, we'd both been hired.

Over the summer, our boss, Wanda, a beautiful hippy who still lived like it was the 70s, let us pick our own shifts.

"My teenage years were the best," Wanda always swooned. "You girls deserve to experience that too."

Tea and I never worked more than twice a week. New River surf shop was Wanda's life and she worked six days a week regardless. I think she only really hired us because she felt bad, not because she really needed us.

The shop overlooked the beach with its floor to ceiling windows. It was one of the perks of working here. Oh, and also being able to watch the surfer boys come in looking for new boards.

"I can't believe it either," I shake my head, still dazed.

Last night I had hardly slept. Everything that I had found in my mum's file had opened up a new can of worms.

"Did you call Ryan?" Teagan asks, spraying down the front desk with cleaner.

"Yes," I sigh. "He wasn't happy that I was with Rhys when I found everything out. But without Rhys, I wouldn't have been able to get my mums file."

"You know he's never going to be okay about you hanging out with him," Teagan informs.

"I'm not hanging out with him. Our relationship is strictly there to find my mum."

"So you have a relationship now?"

"Teagan," I groan. "You know what I mean. I don't like the guy, trust me. He's so...irritating."

She put away the cleaner, tidying up the small knick-knacks that we sold at the front counter. Anklets and board wax. Holla girls and wave rings.