30 - "Enough talking, I think."

The chapter a lot of you might have been waiting for (haha). Enjoy! See you Thursday!
And, make sure you've read chapter 29 first!

 Enjoy! See you Thursday!And, make sure you've read chapter 29 first!

"You're shaking

"You're shaking."

We'd left the lake half an hour ago with Rhys taking me back to his place. He had promised that his parents wouldn't be home to harass me, even though I wouldn't have cared if I saw Rebecca. Maybe his dad, though.

The drive had felt different, like there was nothing left separating us now. Rhys had been so hauntingly honest with me today that I couldn't even remember why I hadn't liked him from the very start.

"That's what happens when— when you're fucking cold," I stutter, my teeth chattering. I could feel my damp hair sticking to the back of my neck, not only from the sweat but also from the lake.

"Always the lady," Rhys grins. He hand lingers on my lower back as he guides me into the elevator. His presses the button, an automated voice informing us that we were going to ground level.

"I don't remember hearing Siri speak to us last time," I observe.

Rhys grunts. "It was installed yesterday. My mum can be quite extra when she wants to be."

"So you not only have an elevator, but you have a voice automated elevator?"

"She can even tell you a joke," Rhys presses his lips into a thin line like it was anything but funny. "Waste of money if you ask me. But mum always starts splurging when dad gets on her nerves."

I'd never really heard Rhys talk badly about the relationship between his parents, but watching his jaw tense at the mention of them made me think otherwise. I'd always just assumed they'd be a somewhat happy couple. That's what they produced in public. But I was starting to learn that not everyone was exactly as I had thought in New River. Some people were just better at hiding who they really are.

"Don't know why our parents ever married either, brother," Max's hand glides out to stop the doors from shutting. He steps in swiftly, wracking a hand through his hair. He sends me a dazzling smile, leaning back against the wall in between Rhys and I.