15 - "Friends by my side"

"Chewing gum?"

"Chewing gum?"

To forget about last nights events, I'd decided to focus on the most important aspect of this summer. Finding out what happened to mum.

"Yes, chewing gum, Dory. My mum never liked this brand," I say, holding up my phone.

Dory reaches out, assessing the small wrapper on my phone like it holds all the answers. Wes peers over Dory's shoulder, frowning at the wrapper.

"What do you think we'll find with this?" Cameron asks, genuinely interested.

"Who knows," I shrug.

"I guess we'll see," Teagan nods, hands in the back pockets of her denim cut-offs.

Everyone was here except Ryan. What he had done last night was completely toxic and not the type of friend I needed today. He was still my best friend but he needed to realise that what he'd done really hurt me. So, despite all his texts and calls about how sorry he was, I wasn't going to falter. I wanted him to really think about what he did before I forgave him.

"You think old Tom is going to be able to help you five years on? With a chewing gum wrapper?"

Teagan jabs Dory in the ribs, glaring at him. "Don't be such a pessimist, Theodore."

"I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist!" he defends. Cameron rolls his eyes, shouldering past Dory to stand by Tea.

"Let's just get on with it," I nod.

We were currently standing outside the only supermarket in New River. The only place that sold this specific type of gum.

"I doubt Tom would have kept receipts from that long ago," Dory huffs.

"Shut up, Dor," Teagan grumbles. "You're being negative again."

"Teagan the veg—"

"Don't start with that," she warns. "Can you just tell him to stay in the car?" she turns to me, groaning.

I laugh lightly. "As if he's going to listen to any of us."

The air conditioner blasts against my skin as we enter the supermarket. There weren't many people here, besides the odd person buying snacks to enjoy out in the sunshine.