42 - "Can we just start over?"

"Um

"Um...hi?"

I stand beside Tea's open front door, staring dumbly out at Abby Kingsley. Max Laderman's girlfriend.

Election night. I'd been dreading it ever since breaking up with Rhys. But oddly enough, Ryan had been pretty persistent about going, reminding me of the reason I had thought it was a good idea in the first place.

Wearing Louis Vuitton pumps and an elegant long-sleeved black dress with a slit in the thigh that falls past her feet, Abby smiles kindly back at me, a drycleaning bag held over her shoulder. Her makeup is perfect, red lipstick paired classically with her long blonde hair. She's wearing a tiffany bracelet around her wrist, pairing it with small silver hoops.

I fold my hands over my grubby t-shirt. "Can I... help you?" I ask, confused.

"Hey, CeCe," Abby smiles again, her white teeth glaring back at me. "I'm Abby. Max Laderman's—"

"I know who you are," I cut in, my tone harsh. "We live in New River, after all."

She laughs, readjusting her grip on the mysterious bag she is holding. "Right, of course. Just thought I should introduce myself officially.

"Anyway," she continues, brushing a strand of her blonde fringe from her eyes. "You're probably wondering why I've just suddenly turned up at your friend's house."

"Yes," I deadpan.

"I've been instructed to give you this," she pulls the bag over her shoulder, holding it out to me. "I'm sure you can guess who it's from. And what it's for. But Rhys thought you might slam the door in his face. Hence, why I've come."

I stare at the bag, dumbfounded. "What exactly is this?"

"A bag with a dress inside," she laughs, holding it out further. "For you. Clearly."

"Why?" I speak, dubious.

She shrugs, biting her lip. "Rhys told me he bought it a while back, before— well, you know. He still wants you to have it. For tonight."