47 - "family means something to me"

"How did you even get my number?"

The sun is beating down against my face as I sit outside, lying on my back on Tea's patio. The trees surrounding me offer minimal shade, but I don't mind much. It's the first time I've been outside in days.

I've ignored all of Rhys's call since finding out about Rebecca. It isn't out of shear anger anymore, but sadness. Sadness that I ever trusted her. I'm not sure if I'm able to hear Rhys's voice yet. To know what he might say.

My phone sits between my shoulder and my ear as I place my hands behind my head. The voice on the other end has just informed me that I'm speaking to Lucas.

"Um..."

The answer to my previous questions comes to be almost instantly in his silence. "Right," I clear my throat, "that was a stupid question."

It had clearly been Rhys who had given it to him.

"What exactly is it that you want?" I ask, trying to remain cordial.

"Dad told mum last night. About you," he whispers, like he can't quite believe what he's telling me.

"Oh," I say, shocked. I wasn't expecting Kevin Winter to ever do that. I'd comes to terms with the fact that I would be his biggest family secret.

"Yeah," Lucas answers, slightly breathless. "He just dropped it so casually. Halfway through dinner."

"Oh," I cringe, picturing how that conversation may have gone down. Spilt wine and raised voices. Pointed fingers and hurt, tearful expressions.

I don't know Lucas's mother, Katie, very well. She's always be a timid sort of women. Hidden behind the influence of her husband, I suppose. Never one to stray away with an opinionated nature.

"Is she... uh, alright?"

I cringe again, this time at my tone. I don't sound sympathetic at all. It just isn't in my nature to comfort people. I always make it way more awkward that it needs to be.