21 - "I'll know the truth soon"

"Already?"

"Already?"

Despite Teagan's best efforts to stay the night, ultimately, the nurse who was monitoring me kicked her out. I'd promised her that I would call as soon as Rhys's mum dropped me home the next day.

It was barely 7 am and the morning-shift nurse has just informed me that Rebecca Laderman's driver was here to collect me. Her driver.

"Yes, he is waiting out front," the nurse begins to fold the few belongings that I have, handing them to me. "Rebecca has already signed your discharge form."

I didn't even know if it was legal for Rebecca to sign me out. Honesty though, it probably didn't even matter. I couldn't think of a more influential woman. She could practically do whatever the hell she wanted. People worshipped her and not just in New River, clearly.

"Okay, thank you," I smile, collecting my phone and putting on my shoes.

I'd had a relatively undisturbed sleep last night. Usually, especially in summer, I found it hard to sleep at all. It was worse when I was trying to keep dad off my mind, wondering if he'd died from alcohol poisoning.

I stop short from exiting my room when I spot Rhys. He's leaning against the opposite wall, one foot balanced against it. He's typing one-handed on his phone, the other stuffed into the pocket of his shorts.

"Morning," I yawn, walking towards him.

He looks up at me through his lashes. He pockets his phone, gesturing with his head to follow him. "Look, it's not a big deal but—"

"Your mum brought her driver?"

Rhys's steps falter as he throws me a perplexed expression. "How the fuck did you know that?"

"Nurse told me," I shrug. "And it's fine. I don't care."

"So, no rich-kid jabs? No hating on me?"

"I mean, there is plenty I could say but it's too damn early in the morning for that."

"Hmm," Rhys frowns. "I never thought you'd learn how to shut up."