XIV

"Dawg, I'm not getting out the car, that's weird," Amere chuckled

"Dawg, I'm not getting out the car, that's weird," Amere chuckled. He and Cortez were currently in North Carolina.

Some things had to be moved around, so Cortez couldn't make the first meeting he and Joelle set up. He asked Amere to come with him, simply as a support. Of course, he didn't say no because he and Tez were family, if he needed him, he'd be there.

"It is, huh? Aight, well—oh shit thea' she go," he pointed, sounding anxious. This was all very new to Amere, Cortez was never the nervous type with women, he made women nervous. So to see him shook up over Joelle was a sight to see.

"Nigga calm down and go speak, get out," he laughed, unlocking the doors. When he saw her, he had to admit she was extremely pretty. She looked better in person than she did on her instagram. She offered Cortez a polite smile and a side hug, and they entered the facility together.

After they went in, Amere checked his phone for a text from Yanni

After they went in, Amere checked his phone for a text from Yanni. After last week, when he found out what her past was like, he was angry to say the least.

She ended up falling asleep after she cried, like it took all her energy to release all her emotions, and he just held her there. He didn't wake her up, he let her stay, he knew she trusted him and that security was something she needed in the moment.

But since then, he found himself extra protective over her. He worried about her often, like when she was alone, or when she would drive home by herself. His instincts kicked up ten times worse. She never noticed, but he always did when somebody even glanced at her sideways he was on go. He meant it when he said he had her, and as long as he was around her he'd make sure nothing was gonna happen.

He also felt like her breaking down and crying was a step forward and she took two back. He could tell she hated displaying her emotions, because the very next day when he asked her if she was okay she acted like nothing happened. He honestly never noticed how closed off she was until she cried that day. He realized he never saw her upset, sad, or nervous. As someone he considered his best friend that was slightly concerning, but he was sure over time they'd come out, he didn't want to pressure her.