XXVII

"Happy birthday, daddy," Amere heard in his ear, and felt a kiss to his neck

"Happy birthday, daddy," Amere heard in his ear, and felt a kiss to his neck. His eyes creaked open with a slight groan and he saw E'ani sitting right on top of him, with a big smile on her face. "Good morning birthday boy!" she said excitedly.

"Mornin' bae," he mumbled, staring up at her, glad this is what he got to start his morning with. "You look pretty," he said, sleep still very evident in his voice.

"Thank you bubba," she chuckled. "Come on let's get up, it's birthday breakfast time," she cheesed, making him smirk. She slid off of him and held her hand out for him, which gladly took after stretching out.

Once they reached the dining room, his eyes widened. She had it decorated top to bottom, large gold balloons that spelled out 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY' and a big '26' balloon rested on the wall and there were smaller balloons everywhere on the floor.

He saw all the food she made, and his smile grew bigger. She made everything she knew he loved, and didn't care that it was a lot of food, because it was his birthday. She made him french toast with the fruit how he liked, cheese eggs and sausage—since he didn't like bacon, and shrimp and grits.

"You like it?!" she cheesed, turning to face him.

"I love it, baby, thank you," he pulled her into him for a tight hug, rocking her back and forth. "I would kiss you but—you know my breath and allat,"

"It's okay," she laughed loudly. "Just eat, let me go get your gift okay? I'll be back," she pecked his cheek, grabbing her car keys and running outside before he could tell her wait. He chuckled at her enthusiasm and sat at the table, saying a prayer before digging in to the food she made.

He was so happy she could cook.

This birthday felt extra special for him. He usually spent it with his mom and siblings when he was in Louisiana, and visited his dad's grave. When he moved, he spent it alone typically, and the next day he'd hang out with Cortez and do a little drinking, but never this much.

His mom tried to make his birthday special with the little they had when he was younger, and he was very appreciative of her for it. This was very different for him, she was making everything about him, and he was enjoying it so far.

"Okay! I'm back," she called when she came back through the front door. "Is it good?" she wondered, seeing that he ate almost everything already. "I guess so. You eat too fast, bubba," she giggled.

"I'a be straight. It was fuckin great," he chuckled, cutting into his french toast. "You ain' have ta' buy me nothin', this was enough," he said.

"What?! It's your birthday baby, we celebrating you. So I shall buy you whatever I like," she grinned. "Now open,"  she pushed the box his way and he nodded. It looked like a jewelry box, and he furrowed his eyebrows, trying to think of what it could be.