XXIV

"Okay bitch what happened?" Yanni squealed

"Okay bitch what happened?" Yanni squealed. A week later, Yanni was driving to meet Amere at his closing and Joelle finally called.

"Okay, lemme tell you," she giggled.

Cortez had just finished changing Saint's diaper after he got done eating, and Joelle was just watching him be a dad. Ever since Saint was fresh out of the womb, he'd been daddy extraordinaire. It was the cutest thing to her.

"Aight he finna pass right out, li' greedy ass boy," he chuckled, kissing his son's face. "You straight? You been zonin' all day. Epidural still beatin' yo ass?"

"Boy—go to hell," she giggled. "I gotta talk to you,"

"The hell you buy?" he snapped his head toward her.

"Cortez. Sit the hell down, fuckin aggy," she mumbled.

Do I really love him? This idiot? She thought to herself.

He sat down in Saint's nursing chair and looked up at her, and both questions were answered with a resounding and overwhelming yes.

"Aight so listen. You irritate me so bad, and you love to annoy me and I don't know why. I don't know why God told me to have sex with yo demonic ass but we really made a pretty baby and I guess you helped. You really different than I expected though. I—um, fell faster than I'd like to admit. You somethin' real special Cortez. I um. I love you—not even off no baby father stuff I really love you, Tez,"

For a moment, everything was quiet. Jojo's heart was beating hard and loudly in her ears, not believing she just admitted to falling in love with Cortez Lecrae.

"I know," he nodded and she furrowed her eyebrows up.

"You know?" she repeated incredulously.

"Yeah, I know. I know you been playin' tough like you ain't want me to feel me out, try to see if I was really good fa' you. You waited till you had my son to see if he was clouding yo' judgement. You waited to tell me not to leave at night, and to stay and sleep in wit' you. You tried to wait, not ask fa' no affection, faked like you only wanted me close by you cuz you was tired. I know," he nodded again, reading her like a wide open book.

"S-so why you ain't say nothing?" she stammered as he stood up, towering over her as he stood directly in front of her.

"I was waitin' too. I wasn't bout to chase yo ass, Joelle. I knew you wanted this to happen but I was waiting on you to know it. I was waiting on you to figure out you loved my ass just like I love you," he mumbled, licking over his lips and grabbing her face in his large hand. "Because I love you," he mumbled and leaned down, pressing a kiss to her lips, making her eyes slip shut, and her heart beat uncontrollably in her chest. 

"Jojo," Yanni whined, a pout forming on her lips. "That's so amazing, I'm so happy for my babies! What happened after?"

"We was kissin' for a hot lil minute and I um—well,"