2

It was a new day. The sun peaked through the silver curtains to bother
Y/n's slumber. In hopes of avoiding the sun's wrath she turned only to hear a blood curdling cry.  Y/n bolted up getting out of bed as fast as possible. She dressed up in a record time for herself and ran to the location of the scream. She was horrified at the sight she saw.
Nightmare was shaking holding onto his legs  as if his life depended on it. Y/n felt bad for the skeleton. He didn't deserve this treatment from the villagers. She thought and decided to heal him since he had so many cuts and bruises on him.
"Nightmare?" She said, " Are you okay?"

"Yeah. I'm fine." He aaid trying to get up wincing in pain as he did so.

Y/n looked at him in concern and spoke, "I'm not blind Nightmare. I can clearly see the cuts and bruises on you."

"They're not that bad Y/N." Nightmare said as he loked at himself.

There was a fair share of blood on him. It disgusted him.

"Nightmare, Let me help you." Y/n gave him a pleading look.

"We just met yesterday. How could I know that you are not out there to kill me?" Nightmare hissed.

Y/n was to say the least hurt. She was going to say a snarky remark but shook it off. It was his mentality to be pessimistic and it wasn't his fault. They shaped him to be wary of everyone.

"Because I know Nightmare. I know what they are capable of. You said it yourself. I don't want you to be in pain for someone else's misunderstanding." Y/n explained, "Just let me help you."

Nightmare's demeanor changed into one of regret. He huffed and shook his head.
"Fine." He spoke as y/n's head perked up, "You can help me."

Filled with relief Y/n smiled. "Come." She motioned for him to folow her.

She led him through a thicket of trees then a dirt path with flowers surrounding it. They came to a stop at a clearing.
Nightmare looked around and saw the Y/n was walking toward a cozy cottage. He admired the simplicity of it before continuing to to follow her. As he got closer he saw a fence.
'Was that always there?'he thought.
Upon further inspection the fence was much more intricately designed. He could feel an aura on it.
"I wouldn't touch that unless you wanna lose any desire for anything."  Y/n interjected.
"Wait. You could do that?" Nightmare questioned.

"Not me the fence." Y/n chuckled at her joke, "Look as this fence disapears and reappears after you walk through."
Y/n stepped forward and the fence did exactly that.
Nightmare walked to the door waiting for Y/n. She came shortly after him. The fence reappeared. He was in awe.

Y/n opened the door and looked at Nightmare. Noticing this he went inside. He sat down on a couch. He didn't realise how much pain he was in until now. That aura of nothing really did affect him. A few tears came out of his eyesockets from this pain.
Y/n was getting healing supplies and tea. She heard Nightmares cry in pain and search as fast as humanly possible. Once she did she speed walked to her living room and proceeded to give the tea to Nightmare.
"Careful its hot." She advised.
He just nodded and proceeded to drink. Y/n proceeded to bandage him up and out ointment when it was need . There was quite a few cuts but she managed. By the time. She was done it was around noon.

"So.. Nightmare. Mind saying what happened to get you this badly beaten up."

"Villagers." He said coldly. Upon realizing how he said that Nightmare felt extremely guilty." Oh god."

"Hey. What's wrong?" Y/n aaid after taking a sip of tea.

"I'm becoming the monster the make me as." He stated in panic.

In response Y/n snapped her fingers and an intoxicating aura of calmness flooded over Nightmare.

" Nightmare. You will only become what they put you as if you let yourself become that. I know you mean well. Though I haven't known you for too long." She mumbled the last part.
"But thats not the point. I'd like to think I am a good judge of character and so far I think I have done a good job."

Nightmare just looked at y/n and blushed a bit.
"Thanks. Just wish they could think the same."

"Don't worry Nightmare. I'm sure they'll come around." Y/n smiled.

Y/n's cottage was surely something. Nightmare looked around and he found something. A library. Though there wasn't much Nightmare still admired what was there.
"You like my books. Take one just bring it back when you are done." Y/n said.

"Wait. You'll let me take this book?" Nightmare inquired.

"Yeah. You need to take your mind off of the real world sometimes. Thought you might need it." The Guardian answered.

Nightmare smiled. He noticed Y/n leave the room. He trailed behind her and saw a spectacular sight."Is this your garden?"

"Eh?" Y/n turned around. "Oh. Yeah. This is my garden. It has alot of flowers. Its mostly to confuse people looking for my bush if they somehow find a way through my fence."

"It's really nice." Nightmare complimented.

"Its prettier at night." She paused. "Speaking of night it looks like sunset is coming. I'd better guide you back. Don't want to worry your brother."

And she did. On their way back they talked more about themselves giggling and laughing at jokes being made at some points. Once they reached the main path they said their goodbyes.
"Hey. If you ever need anything my cottage is in that clearing." Y/n said.
"Safe travels."

Nightmare made it to the tree. He took off the bandages knowing Dream will get suspicions if he kept them.

"Brother!" Dream yelled. "Why'd you come late?"

"I met up with a friend." Nightmare said.

"You made a friend? And you didn't tell me." Dream exclaimed.

"Sorry lil bro. I forgot." Nightmare explained.

"Its fine Nighty." Dream assured. "Come on its almost bed time."

Nightmare gave dream a smile and went to tell him a story.

Y/n made it back to her cottage. She went straight to her bush.
The flowers were still dim. She thought it would be fixed. Thats when she realized. Theres going to be a shift in balance.

"Oh no. What can I do. What do I do?" She panicked.

Y/n tried to calm down. "There's only one thing left to do now."