15| Home

"Grandma loves you, big man

"Grandma loves you, big man." Troy's mom blew kisses, gaining a big smiling face from her grandson. They've been on FaceTime for the last twenty minutes or so. It's eleven AM his time and six PM mine. He texted me after dinner, letting me know he'd call so his mom could see Tron.

"You know, fat boy misses you too. I love your hair." She had it pinned up in a bun with curls on top.  This is the first I'm seeing her or Mr.Miller since I left. This move didn't sit well with her either, but she didn't say anything. She knew it wasn't her place.

"I need real kisses." She pouted, making silly faces. "I am happy to see the two of you smiling. Especially this one right here." She pointed to her son. "Troy looked so pitiful. I had to go against my word and cook for him."

"Chill ma," Troy responded, not able to hide his smile. Which reminds me, this week has been a little weird but in a good way. It's like we're crushing on each other on another level.

It's been a week since the charity event. I didn't tell Troy about Shawn coming or the fact that I spoke to him on the phone yesterday. I reached out to him, trying to keep my word of staying in touch. We ended up spending the rest of the event together, laughing and reminiscing.

"I'm serious. I was worried this distance would bring out the worst. Y'all are mature and handling it. I can't ask for anything more. I'm proud." He crouched forward, kissing Troy's forehead. "I love you both.

"Thanks, ma."

"We love you too." I gazed into the camera.

"Let me get up from here and see what your dad is doing in my kitchen. He supposed to be cooking breakfast." She glanced from me on the screen to Troy seated beside her. We shared the same expression. "Give you two some privacy, witcha' googly eyes, blushing."

"Ma gone now." Troy tried turning away as his mom went in to pinch his cheeks.

"My big baby, mama so proud of you. Keep being the honorable man I know you try your hardest to be. Those bright eyes are looking to you for guidance." She pointed to Tronny.

"I'm teaching my son to be better than me, all while trying to better myself," Troy replied, making his mother's day with that response. Her face lit up like a Christmas tree.

"Cy, sweetie, call me anytime. I'm here. I still need some courage to hop on a plane, but my grandbaby birthday's coming up soon. That should be enough time to get myself right with God." She wiped her forehead, laughing.

"We can do all things, Mrs. Miller." I giggled back at her.

"Amen!" She shouted as she stood. "Grandma loves you, Tronny Bean."

Troy and I both laughed. Watching his mom leave out of sight, I noticed Troy looking at me.

"What?" I stretched out. "Why are you staring at me like that?"