22|Ribs

Another week past

Another week past...

Pots steaming, aromas flowing, and laughs throughout the house. We were hanging back at the crib doing the usual stuff we do when we all get together.

"Nah, Rita can't help you." I shooed her out of the kitchen. "Gone, that's cheating. Ya' man says he got me on barbecue, let's see."

"My wife was simply giving me some loving. That is all." Chance reached down, kissing her little short self.

Chance and I were in the kitchen having another round of cook-off wars—this time, we chose barbecue.

There's no way in hell I'm losing this.

"She can simply go sit her ass down somewhere." I covered my pot full of boiling ribs.

"Alright, alright, cry baby. I'm going." Rita pushed me, walking off over to the living room.

Seeing Cyrene seated at the couch laughing and giggling on her phone. Low key had me feeling a way. She keep saying her friend is calling and she'll excuse herself, or she'll wait until I'm asleep to talk to him. That's how it's been since she left the hospital.

I'm trying to give her space and not say anything because I know she has been through a lot. But if she keep smiling and giggling like that, Ima' have to say something.

"You hungry?" I semi shouted across the room, interrupting her lil laugh fest. She looked up from her phone, shaking her head no. Then got back to her conversation.

It's good to see her sitting up and laughing after these past three weeks of recovery, but nah. What the hell is so gahtdamn funny?

"Ouuu, I want some." Celeste came over, peeking in my pot. I turned away like I didn't hear her. When Cyrene got her memory back, Celeste called herself trying to talk to me like everything's sweet.

Nah, un un.

She's staying over here when she's not with Chez. But he's here with her most of the time to keep the friction at bay.
But I've been doing pretty good at ignoring her.

"A3, when you put him down, check on Tronny man for me." He nodded, rocking lil Dri to sleep. Rai was seated by Cyrene, knocked out.

Mike and Leah were headed out the door to meet up with KJ's father to pick him up. "I'll see all of you in a little bit. If I'm not back before the food's done, put me up a plate."

"Just forget about me, huh?" Leah pushed him to the door.

"Now you know you and the kids always eat off my plate. So stop it." He said, closing the door behind them.

Cyrene's parents left this morning. They had to get back home. It was killing them to go, but they were confident in all of us taking care of their daughter and keeping their other one out of trouble.