17| My Office

Entering my office following behind Cyrene, I shut the door

Entering my office following behind Cyrene, I shut the door. Silence met both of us awkwardly. The room was cold and drafty all of a sudden. Walking in felt different, as if it was the first time —almost foreign.

She stood in the middle of the floor, eyeing every inch. I stayed by the door, holding my sleeping son —watching from a safe distance.

It was unsettling having Cyrene and Tronny-man in here after what went down in this very same room. I wanted to ball up this entire office like a looseleaf sheet of notebook paper and toss it in the trash.

She finally walked over to my desk and sat down. Releasing my held breath, I scurried over to the seat in front of her. I tried glances, and even some uncomfortable shifts to gain her attention, none of those worked.

"So, you're still in therapy?" She settled her eyes on my desk, staring at our family photo.

"Yes. I went last week. I have one coming up." I glanced from her to the picture repeatedly.

"How's that going?" She picked up the frame running her fingers over the edges. Her tone was intense as if she could either jump across this desk and pounce on me or break down in tears —but knowing Cyrene, it wouldn't be the ladder.

"I like it. I didn't at first, but it's growing on me. Dude is weird as hell, but he know what he's doing."

She nodded, placing the picture near my laptop, keeping her eyes on it. 

I settled in on the photo as well. "We were all over the place that day. Tron wouldn't be still. He was ill. We had wardrobe malfunctions. The photographer was late getting to the location due to traffic in the city." I smiled at the photo, thinking about the stress we went through that day, but we got it done.

"Yeah, and the backdrop fell mid-shoot. It was a mess but probably one of the best days." She smiled, my brows lifted curiously. "Do you not remember that morning?"

I thought about it for a second because Tron was a month old then. We had photoshoots almost daily it seemed like.

"Earlier that morning, we ate breakfast together. Things were then starting to get back to normal. It was hectic adjusting to a newborn in the house. I got up that morning and took a bath, did a facial, and even shaved my legs. Then on top of that, you made waffles, bacon, eggs, and some fruit." She closed her eyes, reminiscing.

"Oh yeah, I remember. You were walking around in your robe, on cloud nine." I chuckled a little, thinking about her prancing around as if she had just gotten off the set of a carnival cruise commercial.

Cyrene looked around the room once more. This time a slight glimpse of a scowl expression appeared on her face. It only lasted for a second, long enough to let me know how she was truly feeling in the moment.

"You want to talk about it?" My eyes never left hers. She still couldn't look at me. She also wasn't saying much of anything, leaving me fishing for ways to talk to her or get her to speak.