21|Recollection

"Cyrene, do you know why you're here in the hospital?" The doctor asked, raising the bed

"Cyrene, do you know why you're here in the hospital?" The doctor asked, raising the bed. "Try some water for me." She held it out, I obliged. It had been three hours or so since I woke up—the family's here by my bedside, staring me down.

Clearing my throat, I thought for a second because I wasn't sure why I was here. Was I dreaming before when they said I got jumped or was it all true? I don't remember being in an altercation. But damn sure felt like I did.

This was my first attempt at this question. The doctor had been coming in regularly with more questions each time. Questions like my full name asked about my son and his date of birth. Easy stuff like that. Those answers came easily. It was just a struggle to speak loud and clear because my throat was on not ready for this shit yet.

They didn't want to overwhelm me, so she asked for the family to hold off asking me anything. Monitoring my blood pressure, the doctor said she would now attempt to ask more challenging questions.

"Um, "I shook my head almost in a panic as I tried to remember. "I'm not sure." I cleared my throat to say.

"That's ok. With time we expect a full recovery. Some things may take a while to come back or not. It can happen at any time. Don't overexert yourself." She checked the monitor. "Are you experiencing any pain?"

"Not right now. It's a lot better." I spoke softly.

She nodded with a little wink. "We'll give you a little something extra to help you relax. Spend some time with your family. That helps. No stress whatsoever." She eyed everyone in the room making sure they heard her. They nodded in agreement.

Mom and dad seated together, Troy in a seat by my mom with Rai on the other side next to Adrian and then Mike. They were all timid but excited to see me up talking.

My twin Celeste cuddled beside me felt like old times, and I'm grateful for that, but seeing Troy seated across the room, giving me space, made me wish it was him over here instead. Well, he and my son whom I'm missing like crazy. I pray what I think I heard while I was out of it wasn't right. At least, that's what I keep trying to tell myself.

The doctor and nurse left. Cel sat up a little giving me more space on the bed. "How are you feeling, sissy?"

"I'm ok." I managed to say before clearing my throat again, giving her a little smile.

Rai came over, "Good. Now we can take these out of your hair. You ready?" I nodded, sitting up. Cel grabbed scissors and a comb from her purse. Rai found a bag to put the hair in.

Everybody made small talk amongst themselves while I sat comfortably, getting those tangled up tracks out. As they released the extensions, I began looking myself over, arm in a slink, a brace around my waist, and scratches everywhere. I was definitely in a fight. I just can't remember it.

I remember everything up until that night we came back home from New York. We went to visit Rai because she was due to have the baby soon. We came home. We dropped our son off at Troy's parent's house then to a little party. We ended up bringing party favors home and tried them out. I remember that ending in a disaster. I can't remember anything passed that night.