16| The Gym

"How'd the surgery go, bro?" I sincerely asked Chez over the phone while jogging out of the house, heading to my gym

"How'd the surgery go, bro?" I sincerely asked Chez over the phone while jogging out of the house, heading to my gym. The newest one not too far from home. My hands touched the railing coming down the steps feeling the early morning mist.

Chez's mom had surgery, removing both of her lower legs. We were all stunned by the news. It was a sudden decision after a long history of medical issues. I couldn't imagine something like that happening to my parents. My heart goes out to him and his family. That's a tough one, seeing your mom in pain.

We've been keeping Chez close, making sure he understood he doesn't have to battle this alone. He has the support of the entire staff and also my family.

"She's in recovery. They're moving her to a regular room soon." He sounded as if he was moving walking. Knowing him, he was anxious and couldn't keep still.

"That's good news, man. I'm sure she's ready to settle down and get some rest." I closed the door leaving out of the house, locking it.

I didn't have on anything fancy, just threw on the first thing I saw. A fitted plum-colored t-shirt, some old jeans with old sneakers, and a hat to go along with it. That's been my mood every day, scruffy hair, old clothes, and worn-out shoes. My mom said it was a funk that I would soon overcome with time.

Some days I literally sat around doing nothing, then take glances at the clock, wondering where the time went. But I'm out today on this beautiful sunny morning. A step in the right direction, placing one foot in front of the other, little daily strides.

"Yeah

"Yeah. I wish I could get in touch with Cel, but she's been busy all day. I only received one text from her, and that was last night." He sighed stressfully.

Hopping in my truck and connecting my phone to the in-car system, I furrowed my brows, "that's odd."

"I ain't trippin' on it. My mind's on my mama, and that's it." He conveyed, but I knew it was bothering him. He and Celeste talked all the time. Every time I saw him lately, he was either hang up with her or glued to the phone, which is funny because that was once Cyrene and I.