19|Emergency

The first number I knew to call was the one I dialed

The first number I knew to call was the one I dialed. Celeste picked up on the second ring. "I swear this better be an emergency. I'm with Chez. What do you want?" She whined dramatically.

"Aye man, I need you to meet me at the hospital. ASAP!"

She shifted around, "what's going on? Where's my sister?" Semi panicking, she moved around, further sounding like she fell or something.

"She was in a fight. Meet me at EU." I rushed to say.

Didn't hear another word after that, which told me she already hung up.

The next call had to be to Mike. Sigh. I already knew what to expect. He's my boy and all. We've been cool since college, but that doesn't mean anything when it's about his family. Even if he's been coming by checking on me during Cyrene's time back in Nairobi.

"Yo?" He answered after the third ring. I heard the twins in the background, as well as Leah and KJ. Sound like they were playing hide and seek.

"Look, Cyrene got into it with some girls. Meet us at EU. I'll explain everything when you get there. She's hurt."

"Fuck. Aight." He stressed, ending the call. Phone in hand, I debated if I should call her parents or not. It had just hit one o'clock in the afternoon here. It's around eight at night there.

Naaaaaa, I'll wait. Besides, Celeste might want to make that call herself. Yeah, yeah. That's what I'll do. Probably best if I told them after receiving an update from the doctor anyway. Yeah, yeah.

Surveying the space around me. There was blood, hair and juice everywhere spilled over the floor and shelves of the aisle. Like a murder scene.

Standing over Cyrene as the EMT worked on her, readying her for transport to the nearest hospital. Seeing her limped on the stretcher brought about a fear I never imagined existed.

Everything just spun out of control so fast. How did we get here? 

What if she—

"Excuse me, sir?" The EMT lady tapped my arm, breaking me out of the trance. "Will you be riding with or following behind?"

"Riding."

Ana and Red were placed in the back of a cruiser to head down to the precinct. An unconscious, damn near lifeless Cyrene was strapped in lying on a stretcher, pushed into the back of the ambulance. I hurried and got in with her.

The weight of the world felt like it was on my shoulders. Why us? Cyrene is the mother of my son. She has to wake up, and she has to be ok.