Chapter 9

• Dedicated to Orla

As i walk out, i feel Leo behind me, quietly gliding behind me like a...well, ghost.

He waits for me on the porch, his eyes staring right through me, and not really focusing.

"You changed your mind." is all he says, and i nod, not wanting to tell him the truth just yet.

"I'm going to come with you, yes, but i want to know a couple of things before we set this in stone." he nods, hanging off of every word.

"What's your name?" he purses his lips

"Hayden" i nod.

"And what will me coming with you involve?" his smile widens, and i feel my knees weaken as a real smile lightens up his face.

"That, you will have to wait and see." i huff and cross my arms. He waves his hand in the air and ripples appear out of nowhere, and once again, he bows at the waist.

"Ladies first." i narrow my eyes at him and storm into the black hole, not caring what waited at the other side.

*   *   *

When the black hole stretches out into shapes and colours, i recognize my old house. I feel a sharp stab in my heart and whirl around, only to bump chests with Hayden. I feel little currents run through my chest, almost making the pain in my heart go away. Almost.

"Why did you bring me here?" i ask, my breath a whisper as if someone will hear us. No one would, of course, because this house had been foreclosed. After my parents died, they found allot of things wrong with the house and deemed it unworthy to live in.

"Because this is where he will not see us, not hear us, he cannot get in this house until you are 16.."

"Which is in a week" i point out. His eyes narrow.

"We should get started with your training." i raise an eye brow.

"Training?" i ask ludicrously.

"Yes...That's what i just said." He looks at me weirdly and leads me out the back, and into the small shed we stored our bikes in. It was big enough for both of us, but with restricted movement. In the middle of the shed was a circle with a star drawn on the inside.

"It's called a pentagram." Hayden says, as if reading my mind.

"It's for calling on the power you need." He says, looking lost in thought. There was a little hexagon in the middle so i move and i sit in it, thinking of nothing else to do. Hayden is jolted out of his daze and looks at me.

"Now close your eyes." he instructs me, so i do.

"No think of a simple colour, any colour."

I think of the colour blue. His colour blue.

"Now think of it as a thin shield, protecting your body from anything." and i do, but it's not a shield, it is him. I frown and lose my concentration, and i feel the shield slip away. Hayden frowns.

"Why did you lose concentration?" i growl at him and try once more.

The day goes on like this until i can walk around in my shield without feeling uncomfortable. It's now 4.00

"So what happens now? do you disappear where you live? do you leave? where do i go?" i say feeling a bit annoyed at the fact that he didn't tell me all the details on the way here.

"Well little one, you sleep here, as shall i, i can sleep on the couch, on the floor, where every you choose, just as long as you are near me, and out of harms way." i frown at the use of words but shrug.

"You can take my room...i think i might sleep in my mum and dads room." He nods and heads inside. My stomach growls and i head inside too, wondering what can be found in a house that has been closed for 9 years....

When i get inside, lovely smells waft up through my nostrils, making my mouth water, and my stomach ache. i walk into the kitchen to see Hayden, with only a t-shirt on might i add, cooking. i frown.

"You can cook.?" he spins around, clearly not hearing my entrance.

"Yes, i can cook, can you?" i scoff at him.

"Of course i can cook!" he smiles at me outburst but i just huff at him and walk into the lounge where there is a TV. i frown and wonder where all this stuff came from.

"He brought it here, of course" i voice say beside me and i smile looking over at Leo.

"Really? how did he get every thing?" Leo shrugs.

"He has his way."

"His way my ass" i mumble

"Shade" i hear my voice called, and i stand walking into the kitchen.

"Yea?" Hayden is putting something on a plate that looks like steak and mushrooms with potatoes and gravy.

"Dinner" he says, giving me another one of his gorgeous smiles. Wait, What? Gorgeous? Oh hell no.

"Thanks" i mumble as i take the plate out of his hand, care full not to touch it. I sit at the table and dig in.

"OMG, this is SO good!" i practically shout at him, and he chuckles while he leans his hip on the stove.

i am aware that he is watching me eat, but this doesn't stop me from enjoying it. When I'm finish, i literally lick the plate clean. He laughs out loud, the sound a soft melodic hum.

"That good huh?" i nod like a child, and i suddenly feel really tired. i stifle a yawn and stand up. i walk over to the door, but my legs give out, and before i can throw my arms out to catch me, strong ones grip my waist, sliding under my thighs and lifting me up into the air. shocks of electricity runs through my arms in tiny zaps, making me shiver. i lean my head on Hayden's chest and grip my arms around his neck while he carries me effortlessly up towards my parents room. i hear a small rumble vibrate through his chest which make my ear buzz. i'm to tired to tell him to put me down, and when we get to my parents room, their familiar smell hits my nose making me want to fall in to an even deeper sleep. Hayden gently places me down on the soft bed, pulling the blankets back and throwing my legs underneath the sheets. i close my eyes and yawn again.

"Night Hayden" i whisper before falling into a dreamless sleep.

Haydens P.O.V

When she doesn't argue with the fact that i carry her up to her bed i nearly dance for joy. Her skin is soft and she smells like  the ice flowers my father got for her. i give a low growl, and walk into her parents room. It smells like her, but not as sweet. i set her down and she readjusts to get her self comfortable.

"Night Hayden" she whispers, which makes my heart soar. i smile in the dark, and leave quietly, so as not to wake my Angel.