Chapter 33

It had been months since Mark's dad was put in jail. Jinyoung and Jackson could really see a difference in his mental health. He was far more happy and less anxious.

He pretty much lived with his boyfriends in their apartment at this point, but still would go back to the mansion with his mom every once in a while. He had never really been close with her, but he still wanted her company. Jinyoung was glad that they were somewhat growing closer after the incident. 

Jinyoung was on his phone in his room when he got a text to the markjinson group chat from Mark. It said for both of them to meet him in the living room.

Jinyoung rolled his eyes and smiled. He couldn't have just knocked on their doors? Considering he was already in the apartment anyway. But he got up and went to sit on the couch anyway, Jackson and Mark already there. 

Mark sat with an unreadable expression on his face and his hands folded in his lap.

"So what is it you wanted to tell us?" Jackson asked as he put his arm around Jinyoung.

"Umm so remember when I applied for UCLA? Like, forever ago?"

Jinyoung nodded. It was Mark's dream school. 

"Well, I got in." He took out the acceptance letter from his pocket and unfolded it. 

"That's great!" Jinyoung and Jackson said in unison. They went to hug him but he seemed tense and didn't really hug back. 

"What's wrong?" Jackson asked, sensing his discomfort. 

Mark sighed. "I'm graduating in a couple months. UCLA is so far from here and..."

Jinyoung started to realize what was wrong and a heavy weight pulled down his heart. He stayed quiet. 

"You'll be far away from us," Jackson whispered. Mark nodded.

"So..." Jinyoung said. "Are you planning on going? Because I don't want us to hold you back from anything." He bit his lip, because the truth was, he really hoped Mark would stay. As selfish as it was.

"I don't know. I just wanted to tell you guys. Maybe it'll help me come to a decision." Mark tried to smile but it didn't reach his eyes.

"You're other family is there," Jackson mentioned. "You haven't seen them in a while so it might be good." He looked down.

Mark nodded but said, "I can visit them any time. And I've never been super close with many of them."

"What about your friends?" Jinyoung asked. "The ones you went to school with before you came here?"

Mark's smile looked pained. "What about you guys though? I can't just leave."

"But like you said earlier, you can visit any time," Jinyoung said trying to look optimistic. Mark shook his head and said it wouldn't be the same as seeing them everyday.

"Plus, BamBam and Yugyeom and Youngjae and JB are here, I don't want to leave them behind either."

Jackson sucked in a breath. "It wouldn't be leaving us behind. And you could come back after the four years."

Four years. That was a long ass time. Jinyoung shook his head. He didn't know how he was going to do it if Mark was gone for that long. There would be visits and calls and things, but still.

Mark just kept nodding. "There are good colleges here, too. UCLA is cool, but it's not that important that I go there, you know."

The three of them sat in silence for a few moments until Jinyoung finally asked, "So what are you going to do?"