xxix.

C H A N E L

"Are you okay, Amore Mio," Vincenzo asked. I tried to get up from my spot on this comfortable couch, but my foot got caught in the comforter. (My Love)

"I'm fine, thank you," I said.

"How are you feeling?" He asked. "You fell asleep on the couch."

I yawned and rubbed my eyes. He chuckled and I immediately looked at him. I wonder what he was laughing at.

I felt self conscious around him. I tried to fix my hair and cover myself.

"Do I look okay?" I asked, my smile was shy. I didn't know what it was about him, but he made me shy.

"You're hair is a mess," he answered with a joyful smirk.

"Shut up," I muttered. I tried to fix my hair, but it kept sticking up.

"Here," he said. He scooted towards me and my breath hitched. He raised his hand to my head. I instantly flinched, it was an instinct of mine.

"I won't hurt you," he softened.

I let him fix my hair and felt him place his hand on the back of my neck. He stared at me and his eyes held lust.

I immediately backed away. I looked at the ground.

I didn't know him, I didn't know if I could trust him. I didn't know what he was capable of.

Giovanni walked past us and grunted. "Be careful, she's been around," he warned Vincenzo.

I stared at him, my mouth gaped. What was he saying?

I got up and limped to him. "What is that supposed to mean?" I asked.

Giovanni glared at me and ignored me. He walked away. I tried to walk after him, but I fell to the floor. I groaned in pain. I felt tears sprung to my eyes.

Vincenzo ran to me and helped me up. He lifted me on the kitchen counter and took a look at my ankle.

"Ignore my brother, he's a fava," Vincenzo told me. (dick)

"What does that mean?" I asked.

He smiled, coyly. "Uh . . . how do you say it?" He rubbed his finger together and made a thinking face. "Um . . . t-the male part."

I laughed. "Oh, a dick?"

"Ah, ," he laughed as well. (yes)

"I know what that means," I told him, excitedly.

"Oh, really? What does it mean?" He asked, teasingly. His smile was so charming.

"Yes," I answered. A smile on my lips. He always knew how to make me smile.

"Good job," he congratulated.

"Can you teach me more?" I asked him.

"Of course, Piccolo."

•••

After a while of learning Italian with Vincenzo. Valeria came jumping in with balloons in her hand.

She engulfed me in a hug. "Happy birthday!"

I smiled. She remembered.

Vincenzo has a surprised expression on their face. "It's your birthday?" Vincenzo asked. "Why didn't you tell me, amore mio?"

I just shrugged. I didn't really care much about my birthday. My whole life I had expected everyone to know, I've gotten presents my whole life. I've had the best birthday parties that I didn't even have to invite people they already knew.

I wonder what they're going to do this year? Go to my house and see I'm not there. That would be awkward.

Tobias came out with a cake while the rest of the crew had presents.

I felt tears in my eyes. They did this for me.

They placed the cake on the counter and I blew out the candles. The cake was in Italian.

Buon Compleanno, Chanel! (Happy Birthday)

"They spelt it in Italian, it says happy birthday, I think," Tobias said. "I'm not really good at Italian."

"I love it," I said, tearfully. I was so happy. I was so thankful. "Guys, I don't even k-know what to say."

I felt tears in my eyes and throat dried up.

"T-Thank you," I smiled.

I gave them all hugs.

"Let's dig into the cake," Tobias yelled, excitedly.

Valeria cheered along, excitedly. I cut the cake with a cute and bashful smile. I cut the cake into eight pieces and gave everyone a piece, including me.

Giovanni came out of his office and noticed the balloons. He took a piece of cake without saying thank you.

"Do you have any manners?" I asked, bluntly. He was being disrespectful and impolite.

"Do I?" He spoke, crudely.

I scoffed. I was not going to deal with him. Especially on my birthday. I just wanted to enjoy this day without having to deal with Giovanni.

"You forgot something," I said, hastily. I through him a fork and it almost stabbed him.

He clutched it in his hand angrily. His knuckles turning white.

"You bitch," he snarled.

I stuck my tongue out at him.

He got up from the chair and glared at me. "Don't you remember what happened the last time you stuck your tongue out at me, princess?" He asked, tactlessly.

I rolled my eyes. "What, you're going to cowardly put me in a basement?" I sassed.

"Trust me, this basement is ten times scarier," he smiled, a wry and humourless smile.

I gulped. I didn't want to see the basement, definitely not on my birthday.

"You're lucky it's your birthday," he said, darkly. He walked away. "Buon Compleanno!" He wished, although his voice sounded unpleasant. As though he didn't really mean it. He sounded bored.

I ignored him. I looked back to the gang with a broad and false smile.

Why did I let him get to me?

They were all laughing and eating the cake, these people were harmless. It was impossible to think they were part of some gang.

These people were becoming my family. I was starting to trust these people. I couldn't be more happier with them.

On my birthday.

Although I missed my mother and wished she was also here to celebrate. I was glad that I spent it with people who I was beginning to truly love.

I would have never guessed that I was going to look at people so viscous and cruel as my family.

I wouldn't have guessed being kidnapped would open my heart to something more than family.

Friends. True friends.