Book 1 Chapter 1: In the Iceberg

Girl Narrating: Water, Earth, Fire and Air, My grandmother used to tell me stories about the old days; a time of peace when the avatar kept balance between the Water tribes, Earth Kingdom, Fire nation and Air Nomads.

But everything changed when the fire nation attacked.

The avatar is the only one that can bend all four elements, only he could stop the ruthless FireBenders. But when the world needed him the most, he vanished.

It's been a hundred years since then and the fire nation is closing in on their victory. Two years ago my father left with the men of the tribe and journeyed to the Earth kingdom to help fight against the Fire nation. That left me and brother to look after our tribe. People believe that the avatar was never reborn into the Air Nomads after the Fire Nation killed every single Airbender, preventing the Cycle to continue.

But I haven't lost hope. I believe that the avatar will return to save the world.

————————————————————————

A small canoe makes its way down a thin stream in the water. Each side of the stream is blocked off by towering icebergs that drift further away and leaving a sparse area of
un-touched ice platforms that are covered in a thick blanket of pale white.

The canoe strip lines through the icy water. Two people, a boy and girl, are sitting in the boat; the boy holds a spear at the ready, while the girl just simply stares into the water on the other side of the boat.

A fish begins to swim close up to the surface in front of the boy who seems to be completely focused on it, following its every move.

Boy: It's not getting away from me this time. (He grins over his shoulder confidently in the direction of the girl) Watch and learn Katara. This is how you catch a fish.

The girl looks indifferently at his claim and she goes back to staring down into the water by her side. Her face changes into a surprised look as a fish starts to swim by the boat next to where she sits. She takes a quick glance at the boy and then removing the glove from her left hand. She stretches her arm out in the direction of the fish, and takes a deep breath. She has a look of concentration and apprehension as she starts to make a wavy motion with her wrist, moving her hand up and down.

The boy is completely focused on the fish in front of him, completely unaware of what's happening behind him. Katara continues to move her hand the water in front of the fish starts to ripple. A bubble of water rises from the ocean containing the newly trapped fish.

Katara: (happily surprised) Sokka, look!

Sokka: Sshh! Katara you're going to scare it away. (A look of bliss adorns his face, he licks his lips and wiggles his fingers not taking his eyes off the fish.) Mmmm.... I can already smell it cooking.

Behind Sokka Katara is still making hand movements, suspending the bubble of water that holds the fish in the air.

Katara: (struggling with the water the water that passes right in front of her.) But, Sokka! I caught one!

The bubble containing the fish slowly drifts away from her and hovers over Sokka's head, who is still oblivious. As the bubble still hovers over his head, Sokka lifts up his spear to strike at the fish he's been following. He bursts the bubble with the blunt end of his spear causing Katara to loose control over the water; it rains down on Sokka soaking him.

Katara: (Exclaims) Hey!

As Sokka let's out a gasp of discomfort, the fish tumbled through the air and Katara follows it with her eyes as it flies over her head and splashes back into the sea. Sokka places his spear at the rim of the boat as he yells irately.