Book 2: Chapter 1: The Avatar State

The episode opens to show a grey sky underneath we are shown the Southern Air Temple where Aang is caught in a dream. In it, he is running about the Southern Air Temple. He comes across the room where he had found Monk Gyatso's skeleton in real life and instead sees his own self in the Avatar State. The personage of himself turns to glare at him angrily. Aang is terrified, as wind blows past him. Sokka and Katara are huddled behind a rock, Faith, scared, is watching Aang and trying to stop herself from blowing away watching the Avatar State Aang as he sends a forceful gust of wind that blows the real Aang back. He falls into the room in the Fire Temple he had visited to speak to Roku. The doors to the room open and reveal the personage of Aang in the Avatar State, who breathes fire and splits the floor in half. The real Aang falls through and lands on a Fire Navy ship in the Northern seas. The monstrous koi fish, called Koizilla, created when he and La had fused together during the Siege of the North appears before him, the personage of him inside. The Kozilla makes a downward cutting motion, and the personage does the same before a blinding white appears and the dream ends. Aang awakes from it and leaves the room where the gang is sleeping, exiting through a stairway. Faith awakens and catches sight of him leaving.

Faith: (Confused.) Aang...

Aang stands by the ledge of the Water Tribe ship on which they are sailing. Faith approaches him.

Faith: Do you want to talk about it?

Aang: Nah, just a nightmare. I was in the Avatar State, but I was outside my body watching myself. It was scary. I was scary. (Closes eyes and bows his head; Faith puts her hand on his shoulder.)

Faith: Don't worry. You did it for a good reason.

Aang: (Faces Faith.) But did I? (Turns head and walks away leaving Faith standing there Sadly.)

The scene changes to daybreak. Pakku is on the ship with two Water Tribe members and the gang.

Pakku: (Holds up flask.) Faith, I want you to have this. This amulet contains water from the Spirit Oasis. The water has unique properties. Don't lose it.

Faith: (Accepts amulet and hugs Pakku.) Thank you, Master Pakku.

Pakku: (Hands Aang box of scrolls.) Aang, these scrolls will help you master waterbending. But remember, they're no substitute for a real master. (Aang looks up at Faith, who is sitting on Appa and looks back.) Katara (Hands her a scroll.) This scroll is a sacred scroll of healing, I want you and Faith to use it correctly. (Katara smiles before hugging Pakku, he hugs back before turning to Sokka.) Sokka... (Pats him on shoulder, leaving him dismayed.) take care, son. (To the entire gang while pointing out in a direction.) Fly straight to the Earth Kingdom base to the east of here. General Fong will provide you with an escort to Omashu. There, you will be safe to begin your earthbending training with King Bumi.

Aang: Appa, yip yip!

Katara: (As they fly away.) Say hi to Gran-Gran for me!

The team fly on Appa.

Sokka: (Rises to view their destination.) There it is!

The gang arrives at General Fong's base, where he and his soldiers are waiting.

Fong: Welcome, Avatar Aang! (The team stretch after riding on Appa.) I am General Fong, and welcome, to all of you great heroes! Appa, Melody, Momo, brave Sokka, the mighty Katara, and the Master Faith.

Katara: (Pleased.) Mighty Katara? I like that.

Fireworks go off, launched by the soldiers using earthbending.

Sokka: (Viewing the display.) Not bad, not bad.

The scene cuts to inside the base, where General Fong and the team are sitting in a spacious discussion room.