Chapter 19: The Siege Of The North Part 1

Katara is set to spar with a young boy named Sangok. She eyes her opponent with a look of determination. Sangok looks at her with a frightened expression on his face, shaking slightly. He summons a globule of water, freezes it into an iceball, and fires it at her. Katara, however, is quick to melt the iceball and, turning around swiftly, bends a wave of water at him, which she proceeds to freeze, thus suspending Sangok in an icy trap.

Pakku: (Displeased.) Nice try, Pupil Sangok. (Sangok tries to break free.) A couple of more years and you might be ready to fight a sea sponge. (He unfreezes the ice; Sangok falls to the ground dazed.) Would anyone care for a rematch with Katara?

Faith: (Stands up straight.) I will.

Pakku looks at her and smiles as the two girls stand face to face. Katara only smiles widely and sends a stream at Faith. Faith ducks under it, Katara bends the water from behind Faith as the AirBender just backflips over it causing Aang to stare in awe. She lands and bends a large amount of water under Katara's feet causing her to loose balance. Katara gains balance and quickly tries to bend the water around Faith. She breaths in before out and quickly turns the water to icicles and sends them at Katara. Katara bends the ice to water and sends that at Faith. Faith raises herself on an ice pillar and charges at Katara. Katara tried to move away but Faith jumps off the ice pillar and lands in front of Katara. She holds multiple icicles above the two of them. She smiles deviously before swiping her leg knocking Katara down. Faith smiles in victory before turning the icicles to water and letting the water drop around them. Katara just pouts and crosses her arms.

Katara: (Laughs.) Beaten again. That's the fifth time in two days. (Faith helps Katara up.) Thanks Fifi.

Pakku: Faith, Katara you two have advanced more quickly than any student I've ever trained. (Faith and Katara smile brightly.) You two have proven that with fierce determination, passion and hard work, you can accomplish anything. (Turns to Aang irritably.) Raw talent alone is not enough. (Aang lays on the ground with a lazy smile, floating Momo around on an airball above him.) Pupil Aang!

Aang: (Stops bending at the sound of his name; Momo lands on his head.) Yes, Master Pakku?

Pakku: (Sarcastically.) Care to step into the sparring circle? I figure since you've found time to play with house pets, you must have already mastered waterbending.

Aang: (Jumps off the ground with airbending.) I wouldn't say mastered, but check this out.

He twists around, bending some snow around him to make a snowman of himself, which Momo knocks over. Pakku and Katara wear similar expressions of disdain. Pakku shakes his head in disappointment, while Katara looks on in irritation. Faith just laughs while running over to Aang and bending the snow off of him and helping him to his feet.

The scene cuts to inside the chief's Royal Palace.

Arnook: The day we have feared for so long has arrived. The Fire Nation is on our doorstep. It is with great sadness I call my family here before me, knowing well that some of these faces are about to vanish from our tribe, (While saying this line, the scene flashes from Yue to Pakku to Hahn.) but they will never vanish from our hearts. Now, as we approach the battle for our existence, I call upon the great spirits. Spirit of the Ocean! Spirit of the Moon! Be with us! I'm going to need volunteers for a dangerous mission.

Sokka: (Rising from his seat.) Count me in!

Katara: Sokka...

Arnook: Be warned, many of you will not return. (Several Water Tribe men rise and walk forward.) Come forward to receive my mark, if you accept the task.

Arnook paints three red line marks with his fingers on one man's forehead. The man walks away, slightly sorrowful. Sokka steps forward and Arnook paints the same three marks. He begins walking away sadly and turns to look at Yue. After staring at each other for a few moments, Sokka continues walking. Yue averts her gaze, closes her eyes and begins crying.
The scene changes to outside the city where Aang is perched on a snow mound, holding his staff. Arnook approaches him.