Chapter 9: The WaterBending Scroll

Appa flies above the mountains with a few viewable trees, carrying Faith, Aang, Katara, Sokka, Melody and Momo.

Sokka: (Aang is pacing around on Appa's saddle, breathing heavily.) Would you sit down? (Turns around from his perch on Appa's head.) If we hit a bump, you'll go flying off. What's bugging you anyway?

Aang: (Worriedly.) It's what Avatar Roku said. I'm supposed to master all four elements before that comet arrives.

Sokka: (In a sarcastic, amused tone while facing Aang.) Well, let's see. You pretty much mastered airbending and that only took you a hundred and twelve years. I'm sure you can master three more elements by next summer.

Aang: (Frightfully.) I haven't even started waterbending and we're still weeks away from the North Pole. What am I gonna do?

Faith: (Grabs Aang's arm.) Calm down, it's going to be okay. (Aang sits down in front of her.)

Katara: If you want, I can try to teach you some of the stuff I know.

Aang: (Smiling.) You'd do that?

Katara: (Nods and looks over the side of Appa's saddle.) We'll need to find a good source of water first.

Sokka: (Grinning; sarcastically.) Maybe we can find a puddle for you to splash in.

Faith, Aang, Katara, Sokka, Melody and Momo stand in front of a large waterfall and river.

Sokka: (Frowning beside Aang and Katara's ecstatic faces.) Nice puddle.

Appa flies down into the river and creates a huge splash that soaks and almost knocks Melody who gently floats in the water and Momo who turns over, and floats on his back.

Aang: (Takes off his shirt, smiling.) Yeah! Don't start without me, boy! (Begins to run toward the water.)

Katara: (Somewhat blankly.) Remember the reason we're here.

Aang: (Stops short and looks at Katara.) Oh right. Time to practice waterbending. (Puts his clothes back on.)

Sokka: (Sarcastically.) Great. So what am I supposed to do?

Aang: You could... clean the gunk out of Appa's toes. (Hands Sokka a branch with a bushel of leaves at the end.)

Sokka: (Frowns and crosses his arms.) So, while you guys are playing in the water, I'm supposed to be hard at work picking mud out of a giant bison's feet?

Aang: (Smiles; somewhat cheerfully.) Mud and bugs!

Sokka: Okay. (Takes stick and walks over to Appa who is floating in the water.)

Faith begins to walk over to the water.

Aang: (Grabs her hand, halting her; Protectively.) What about you Faith?

Faith: (Looks around.) I'm going to find a place to wash myself. I'll come back when I'm ready.

Aang: (Blushes And Let's go of her hand.) Okay.

Faith laughs before she walks off and looks for an area. Faith comes across a mini lake hidden behind a rock. She carefully takes her clothes off before stripping herself and stepping into the water. She slowly soaks in the water before gently using a spare clothe to wipe herself. She raises her hands just above the water surface and stares at them.

Faith: (Questionable.) Is hurting people right? Even if they are fire nation? Coming back to this world is weird, especially since there was nothing but peace before. If I hadn't run away with Aang what would have happened to me? (Sighs and closes her eyes letting the water soak in.)