Chapter 7: The chase

The scene opens to a forested area at sunset. Team Avatar, now including Toph, is preparing to set up the campsite. Aang hands Sokka a sleeping bag. Toph stands on the ground near Appa.

Toph: Hey! You guys picked a great campsite. (This directs everyone's attention to her. She wriggles her toes in the thick mat of fur covering the ground around the bison.) The grass is so soft.

Sokka: That's not grass. (Somewhat displeased.) Appa's shedding.

Katara: (Displeased, raises foot warily.) Oh, gross!

Aang is sat on Appa, a bluebird perched on his head and a yellow butterfly fluttering past. Momo jumps up in an attempt to catch the butterfly. Faith is sat in Appa's saddle smiling while also holding Melody.

Aang: (Cheerfully.) That's not gross, it's just a part of spring! You know, rebirth, flowers blooming and Appa gets a new coat.

Faith: It's Beautiful. New life every spring.

Katara: (Sarcastically.) Ah, the beauty of spring.

Appa, who had been grooming himself, sneezes, releasing a thick cloud of fur.

Katara: (Waving arms about, now coated in fur.) Stop! Appa, stop! Ugh! (Coughs.)

Sokka: (Bending over, his back turned to her.) It's not that bad, Katara. (He turns to reveal a wig made of fur, done up in a towering beehive.) It makes a great wig!

Aang: (Wearing a beard of fur.) And a great beard! (Aang and Sokka laugh while pointing at each other.)

Katara: (Wiping fur off her clothing with her eyes closed.) I'm just glad we finally have another girl in the group, because you two are disgusting.

Toph: (Walking up from behind the two boys.) Excuse me, does anyone have a razor? Because I've got some hairy pits!

She raises her arms, revealing that she had stuffed fur in her sleeves. The three laugh; Aang sneezes, sending himself flying backward. The big sneeze causes him to crash against Appa's leg and for fur to blow off his friends and himself. The impact leaves some fur on his back. They continue to laugh joyfully, causing Katara to chuckle slightly. Faith just sits on Appa's saddle smiling off into the distance as she hears them all laughing. The scene cuts to later in the evening where the group is setting up camp. Aang sets up the tent while Sokka throws down a pile of firewood he collected. Faith is helping Aang with the tent by putting the sleeping bags in it. Katara, who spends her time stirring around water in a pot, notices Toph slumped lazily against a rock, chewing a piece of wheat. She approaches her.

Katara: So Toph, usually when setting up camp, we try to divide up the work.

Toph: (Shrugging casually.) Hey, don't worry about me. I'm good to go.

Katara: Well, actually what I'm trying to say is, (Holds arms out in gesture.) some of us might fetch water, while someone else might set up the fire pit, or put up the tent. (Momo flies over to her, dropping several berries he had collected into her hands.) Even Momo and Melody do their fair share.

Toph: (Breezily.) Katara, I'm fine. I can carry my own weight. I don't need a fire, (Pats bag.) I've already collected my own food and look, (Earthbends a rock tent over her.) my tent's all set up.

Katara: (Slightly irritated.) Well, that's great for you, but we still need to finish -

Toph: (Angered.) I don't understand what's the problem here!

Faith: (Walks over to the two after hearing the commotion.) What's going on?

Katara: (Waves her hand dismissively and walks away.) Never mind.