Chapter 15: Bato Of The WaterTribe

The chapter opens up to a body of water, waves crashing against the rocks. A whale tooth scimitar stands upright in the ground. Aang's hand comes into view as he grasps the weapon's hilt and yanks it out of the ground. He holds it up while Sokka slides down a dirt slope.

Aang: Hey, look! (Examines the sword.) A sword made out of a whale's tooth.

While Aang draws the weapon free from the ground, Sokka slides down the slope and pulls up behind the Avatar, snatching the weapon from his hands as Aang turned to show it to him.

Sokka: Let me see that.

Sokka walks on for a little while, before he stops, not too far from Aang, to study the weapon closely. Sokka bears a wistful expression while holding the whale's tooth scimitar.

Sokka: This is a Water Tribe weapon. (Turns to Aang, his expression serious.) See if you can find anything else.

Aang and Sokka search the wooded area for more weapons. Faith and Katara walk toward them, curious.

Katara: (Curiously.) Did someone lose something?

Aang: (Rummaging through the bushes; somewhat cheerfully.) No, we found something!

A spearhead lies on the ground beneath a few fallen leaves. Sokka kneels before it, brushes aside the debris and picks up the spearhead, examining it and running his fingers along its point, noticing ash on it.

Sokka: It's burned. (A tree trunk has scorch marks and sharp cuts running across its bark.) There was a battle! Water Tribe warriors ambushed a group of firebenders. (He turns away from the tree and looking down the slope of the hill seeing a black spot on the ground.) The firebenders fought back, but the warriors drove them down this hill.

Sokka races down the hill along a dirt path. He leaps over a few large rocks in his way and continues forward. Sokka appears on the beach followed closely by Aang, Katara and Faith.

Aang: (Intrigued.) So, then what happened?

Sokka: (Disappointed.) I don't know. The trail ends here.

Faith: (Pointing at something in the distance.) Wait, look! (She Points to a Water Tribe ship, half obscured behind large rocks, sitting idly on the shore.)

Sokka: (Happily.) It's one of our boats!

Katara: Is this dad's boat? (She and Sokka run toward it.)

Sokka: No, but it's from his fleet. (Strokes the boat off, while Aang and Faith appear behind them.) Dad was here. (Turns to Katara.)

Team Avatar has settled down for the night beside the Water Tribe ship. Aang and Faith, are lying on Appa's right paw, three of them are fast asleep. Sokka remains awake, poking a stick into the blazing campfire, looking worried. Sokka continues to look sullenly into the fire. Suddenly a strange noise can be heard, its source originating from somewhere in the distance.

Sokka: (Alert.) Who's there? (Stands up, boomerang in hand.)

A pair of boots appear. A man, From the water tribe, with white bandages wrapped around the upper left portion of his torso, steps out of the shadows. He is clearly surprised to see them.

Bato: Sokka?

Sokka: (Quizzically, raising an eyebrow.) Bato? (Spirited.)

Aang: (Having awoken, along with Faith and Katara.) Who the what now?

Katara: (Cheerfully.) Bato!

Bato: (Sokka running over to him, followed closely by Katara.) Sokka! Katara! It is so good to see you two. (Hugs Katara and Sokka.) You've grown so much! (Aang And Faith follow them, but remain standing a few feet away.)