Chapter 8: Bitter Work

The chapter opens in a mountainous terrain at sunrise. All of Team Avatar is sleeping. Aang rises and jumps up with airbending, barefoot, and filled with excitement.

Aang: Today's the day! (Lands near a sleeping Sokka.) Can you believe it? After all that time searching for a teacher, I'm finally starting earthbending! (Momo chitters and lands on Sokka.) And this place, (Momo moves on to Appa's head.) it's perfect, don't you think? Sokka? (Sokka grumbles and glares at Aang with tired eyes.) Oh, you're still sleeping, huh? (Sokka again grumbles and puts his head back down. Aang whispers.) Sorry.

The ground shakes, causing Aang to turn to look toward the source of the rumbling. An earth tent is revealed, the slabs of which are tossed in every direction mere moments after. As the dust clears, Toph is standing in the middle with her left hand raised in the air.

Toph: Goooood morning, (She puts both her hands on her hips.) earthbending student!

Momo is on Appa's head, Sokka is still sleeping and curled up within his sleeping bag with Aang standing at his feet, Katara is sitting upright in her own sleeping bag, Faith is no where to be seen currently. Toph walks over to them.

Aang: Good morning, Sifu Toph.

Katara: (Aang bows slightly to Toph;
disappointed and tiredly.) Hey, you never called me Sifu Katara.

Aang: (Scratches the back of his head.) Well, if you think I should...

Sokka suddenly sits up, grumbling at Aang. Aang looks down in wonder, Toph has a smile on her face.

Toph: Sorry, Snoozles, we'll do our earthbending as (Whispers slightly, though with amusement in her voice.) quietly as we can.

Toph's slams her left heel into the ground, creating a crack. Sokka had laid himself back down. An earth pillar rises up right underneath him, catapulting him screaming into the air. Katara is now standing up and joins Toph and Aang in looking toward the sky. Sokka crashes to the ground in the middle with a loud thud. He immediately jumps to his feet, still in his sleeping bag with only his head visible, and hops toward Aang while grumbling. He stops in front of the Avatar and grumbles to his face, before jumping toward Toph and doing the same to her. He subsequently hops away from the group, still grumbling angrily. Everyone else turns to watch him go. Toph stares at Sokka with her hands to her sides. Aang had jumped up and now softly lands beside her.

Aang: (Excitedly.) So what move are you going to teach me first? (Stretches out his right arm, his fist clenched, and brings it down like a hammer.) Rock-a-lanche? (He brings his left clenched fist to his right elbow, while his right arm is bent upward, the fist also clenched. He trembles with the motion.) The Trembler? Oh, maybe I could learn to make a (Stretches both arms over his head and starts to spin around.) whirlpool out of land!

Toph: (Puts a hand on Aang's chest.) Let's start with... (Makes the gesture.) move a rock.

Aang: (Claps excitedly.) Sounds good, sounds good!

Toph: Where's Faith? Isn't she supposed to train with us?

Aang: Faith is probably doing her morning meditation, I'll go find her.

Aang walks off and in a random direction. The scene changes to a cliff side. Faith is meditating on the edge of the cliff as Aang approaches her from behind.

Aang: Long way down.

Faith: (Eyes are still closed.) That's what makes this more interesting.

Aang: Still trying to learn spiritual enlightenment?

Faith: (Opens eyes and faces Aang.) I'm getting close. I don't know if I'll ever get there though.

Aang: (Kneels in front of her.) Don't worry, you'll get it sunshine. Now, Toph is going to teach us EarthBending. Let's go.