Chapter 16: The deserter

Momo, jumps from a tree to another tree, Melody is following him closely chirping happily. A mysterious figure is seen following them, Momo and Melody land on a roadside kiosk, while Team Avatar is arriving at it.

Katara: (Walking toward a poster on the kiosk, present in the middle of a crossroad.) This should give us a good idea of what's around here.

Sokka: (Flips a small pouch to find it empty aside from a few crumbs.) See if you can find a menu, I'm starving! (Wipes his mouth.)

Aang: I bet we'll find something to eat here, (Pointing at the poster.) the Fire Day's Festival. (Momo jumps down. Aang begins reading-out the poster.) Fire Nation cultural exhibits, jugglers, benders, magicians... (Turns to Faith.) This would be a great place for us to study some real firebenders.

Sokka: (Looking at another poster on the other side of the kiosk; seriously.) Us? Besides You might wanna rethink that. Look at this.

Aang: (Comes over to at the poster.) Hey, a poster of me and Faith!

Sokka: A wanted poster! This is bad. (Aang removes the poster from the wall and starts reading it.)

Faith: (Stares at the wanted poster.) I think we better keep moving.

Aang: (Looking at Faith.) I have to learn firebending at some point and this could be my only chance to watch a master's up close. You can watch with me.

Faith: (Swayed by Aang; while her head is bowed.) I guess we could go check it out. (Aang begins rejoicing.)

Sokka: (Moves in front of Faith; in an opposing tone.) What? You wanna walk into a Fire Nation town where they're all fired-up with their... you know, fire? (Aang becomes serious again.)

Katara: (Starts walking toward Appa and is followed by Aang and Faith.) We'll wear disguises and if it looks like trouble, we'll leave.

Sokka: (Not convinced; sarcastically.) Yeah! Because we always leave before we get into trouble.

Aang: (To Appa, Melody and Momo.) You guys stay out of sight here while we go to the festival. (To Faith, Katara and Sokka.) Ready disguises!

Sokka and Katara put on their black cloaks while Aang pulls his orange shawl over his head with a smile on his face making him look ridiculous. Faith takes out her hair and ties around a red headband. She puts her hair up into a high pony tail. Before draping a black cloak around her soldiers.

Sokka: (Sarcastically at Aang's goofy disguise.) It's like you're a whole different person... (Faith giggles.)

Aang: Let's go.

The gang looks around seeing everyone in masks.

Katara: I think we need some new disguises.

Sokka: Where are we gonna get masks like that?

Mask dealer: Get your genuine Fire Festival masks here!

Sokka: That was surprisingly easy.

The gang chooses three masks. Katara chooses a lady with makeup, Sokka a blue smiling mask with petals around the rim, and Aang who chooses a red mask with a frown on it. Katara removes Sokka's mask, revealing him to be frowning, and Aang's mask, revealing him to be the one smiling. She places Sokka's original mask over Aang's face and Aang's over Sokka. Faith picks up a white masquerade mask and ties it around her head.

Aang: Hey, there's some food.

Sokka: Finally! (To the shop keeper.) What do you have?

Shop keeper: Flaming fire flakes! Best in town.