Chapter 11: The Great Divide

The sky is mostly cloudy and the clouds reflect the light of the dying sun. A patched up tent is being jostled about from the inside. A rolled up tarp lies next to the tent. Sokka is inside the tent, trying to assemble it. Sokka can be heard grunting and fussing about as he tries to finish setting up the shelter. Katara walks over to him, with a pile of fire wood in her arms.

Katara: Um, aren't you forgetting the tarp?

Sokka: Right, got it... (Tosses the wrapped up tarp inside the tent.)

Katara: Sokka, you're supposed to put the tarp on top of the tent. You know, so we don't get rained on? (Sokka gestures widely as he replies to his sister.)

Sokka: Ordinarily, you'd be right, but seeing how it's the dry season, you're not. Besides that tarp makes a pretty warm blanket.

Katara: But what if it does rain?

Sokka: (Spreading his arms wide in exasperation.) What if it doesn't? Then I would have put up the tarp for nothing.

Katara: You're infuriating!

Sokka: Katara, why don't you worry about gathering firewood, because that kindling is looking pretty sorry.

Katara: (Angrily.) Well, if you don't like my firewood- (Throws the sticks at Sokka who shields himself from the wood. He stands in anger after the hail of sticks subsides.)

Sokka: (Angrily.) Fine by me, if you're not gonna do your job- (He tears the tent down and the two stare at each other angrily as Aang approaches followed by Faith.)

Aang: Okay, we got the grub if you guys got the- (The siblings turn away from each other in anger with their arms folded.) Hey, where's the campfire? And what happened to the tent?

Sokka: Why don't you ask Miss Know-It-All, Queen of the Twigs.

Faith: (Laughs slightly.) Really?

Katara: Oh yeah? Well, you're Mister Lazy Bum, King of the (Picks up and throws a twig at Sokka's head.) Tents! (Sokka turns around, looking angrily at her.)

Aang: (Faith laughs historically; Aang is also laughing.) Okay, listen guys, harsh words won't solve problems, action will. Why don't you just switch jobs?

Katara: Sounds good.

Sokka: (At the same time.) Whatever.

Aang: (Grinning while gloating.) You see that? Settling feuds and making peace, all in a day's work for the Avatar.

Faith: (Grinning.) Well done Mr Peace Maker.

Aang turns his head to see Momo and Appa fighting over a watermelon. Momo continuously tries to fly away with it, while Appa pins it down. Aang takes the melon and uses airbending to slice it. Momo seems to be complaining about how he got the much smaller half and Appa got the bigger half.

Aang: Come on, Momo, that's fair. Appa's got five stomachs. (Appa eats his half of the melon.)

The scene fades to show the group standing on the edge of a huge canyon.

Aang: There it is, guys, The Great Divide.

Katara: (In awe.) Wow, I could just stare at it forever.

Sokka: Okay, I've seen enough.

Katara: How can you not be fascinated Sokka? This is the largest canyon in the entire world.

Faith: (Smiles.) People have different tastes Katara, Maybe this just doesn't interest him. (Shrugs and stands beside Aang.)

Sokka: Thank you Faith. (Faces Katara.) Besides I'm sure we'll be able to see it very clearly from the air while we fly away.

Gan Jin tribesman: (Shoving past Sokka.) If you're looking for the canyon guide, I was here first!