Chapter 10: Jet

Momo chases a bug through the trees. In his pursuit he lands on the ground to see a neatly stacked pile of lychee nuts. When he runs toward it, Momo is pulled into the air by a cage trap, joining two other caged animals. The rest of Team Avatar are camping.

Aang: Where's Momo? (The siblings sit next to each other with bored faces, Faith is making a flower band for Melody, and Aang stands up looking around. Momo screeches and the gang looks around.)

Aang spots the three animals in their cage traps hanging by rope on tree limbs.

Aang: Hang on, Momo! (Aang uses his airbending to fly to the top of the tree, jumping from trunk-to-trunk to get higher. He finds the traps' mechanisms, undoes them, and carefully lowers Momo to the ground where Katara, Faith and Sokka are waiting. They open the trap together and the lemur runs out with one of the lychee nuts in his mouth. Katara and Sokka look on as Momo gets on his hind legs and eats it as though nothing has happened. Sokka grunts in frustration and facepalms. When Aang lands, he looks up to see the other two animals seemingly crying out to him for help.) All right, you too. (Jumps up to them.)

Sokka: This is gonna take forever. (Throws his boomerang to simply cut the animals free.)

Aang: (Inching his way upside-down to the traps on the tree branch. They fall before he can reach them.) That works.

The hog monkeys run up the tree and out of the gangs view then Aang jumps back down, dirt flying from the ground as he lands. Everyone gathers around two of the traps and Sokka kneels down to examine them.

Sokka: These are Fire Nation traps, you can tell from the metalwork. We better pack up camp, and get moving.

They gather their things and begin to pack them onto Appa's saddle.

Sokka: Uh uh. No flying this time.

Aang: (Confused.) What? Why wouldn't we fly?

Sokka: (Takes the sleeping bag from Aang's hands.) Think about it: Somehow Prince Zuko and the Fire Nation keep finding us. It's because they spot Appa, he's just too noticeable.

Katara: What? Appa's not too noticeable!

Faith: (Walks up to Appa.) I hate to say it, (Strokes Appa's side.) Sokka is Right. Appa is a ten-ton flying bison with an arrow on his head.

Aang: (To Appa.) Sokka's just jealous 'cause he doesn't have an arrow.

Sokka: I know you all wanna fly, but my instincts tell me we should play it safe this time and walk.

Katara: (Leans forward at her brother and smiles.) Who made you the boss?

Sokka: (Points his finger at his chest; to Katara.) I'm not the boss, I'm the leader.

Katara: (Amused.) You're the leader? But your voice still cracks!

Sokka: (Voice cracks.) I'm the oldest, and I'm a warrior, so (Deepens voice.) I'm the leader!

Faith: (Turning to Face Sokka.) Does there have to be a leader? Or boss? Or whatever.

Katara: If anyone's the leader, it's Aang. I mean he is the Avatar.

Sokka: Are you kidding, he's just a goofy kid!

Aang: (While hanging upside-down from Appa's right horn with feet sticking out in the air.) He's right. (Faith laughs before stopping herself and walking over to Melody.)

Katara: Why do boys always think someone has to be the leader? I bet you wouldn't be so bossy if you kissed a girl.

Faith: (Laughs once again and walks next to Katara holding Melody; Jokingly.) Sokka, kissing a girl? I find that hard to believe.