Chapter 2: The Avatar Returns

Aang and Katara approach the villagers gathered outside the village gates. The children become over joyed upon seeing Aang. Some of the kids run over to Aang, Cana runs up to Aang and Aang immediately recognised her.

Aang: Hey, Cana, Have you seen Faith?

Cana: No, sorry Aang. Isn't she with you?

Aang shakes his head and sighs as Cana starts to get a little upset and she walks back over to the group of Villagers and stands next to Kanna. Sokka breaks the line of villagers and steps forward towards Aang.

Sokka: (Angrily.) I knew it! (Accusingly Points a finger at Aang as he and Katara draw closer.) you signalled the fire navy with that flare! You're leading them straight to us, aren't you?

Katara: (Protesting.) Aang didn't do anything! It was an accident.

Aang: (Sheepishly, as Katara glares at Sokka.) Yeah. We were on the ship and there was this booby-trap, and, well- - (Awkwardly rubs his head.) - - we booby-ed right into it.

Kanna: (Worriedly.) Katara, you shouldn't have gone on that ship! Now we could all be in danger!

Aang: (Sorrowfully.) Don't blame Katara. I brought her there. It's my fault.

Sokka: (Angry and triumphant having found an excuse.) Aha! The traitor confesses! Warriors, away from the enemy. (The children begin to sadly walk away.) The foreigner is banished from our village.

Katara: (Irritably, clenching her fists.) Sokka, you're making a mistake.

Sokka: (Stubbornly persisting in his anger.) No, I'm keeping my promise to Dad. (Points to Aang.) I'm protecting you, from threats like him!

Katara: (Angrily.) Aang is not our enemy! (Continues in a calm, soothing voice.) Don't you see? Aang has brought us something we haven't had in a long time: fun.

Sokka: (Annoyed.) Fun?! We can't fight FireBenders with fun!

Aang: (Optimistically.) You should try it sometime.

Sokka: (Angrily.) Get out of our village! Now!

Katara: (Pleading.) Grandmother, please. Don't let Sokka do this!

Kanna: (Gravely.) Katara, you knew going on that ship was forbidden. Sokka is right. I think it's best if the AirBender leaves.

Katara: (Outraged.) Fine! Then I'm banished, too! (Drags Aang away.) Come on Aang, let's go.

Sokka: (Demanding.) Where do you think you're going?

Katara: (Angrily.) To find a WaterBender. Aang is taking me to the North Pole.

Aang: (Confused.) I'am? (Brightening.) Great!

Sokka: Katara! Would you really choose him over your tribe? (Voice saddens.) Your own family?

Katara stops in her tracks, she looks down sorrowfully as Aang approaches her with a sad look upon his face.

Aang: (Understanding.) Katara, I don't want to come in between you and your family.

Katara: (Upset.) So, you're leaving the South Pole? (In a quieter tone.) This is goodbye?

Aang: Thanks for penguin sledding with me.

Katara: (Still in a quiet tone.) Where will you go?

Aang: I'm going to look for Faith, then we are going to go home and look for the AirBenders. (He places a hand on Appa and is suddenly struck with realisation.) I haven't cleaned my room in a hundred years. Not looking forward to that. (He uses his AirBending to hop onto Appa's head.) It was nice meeting everyone.