Chapter 10: The Desert

Team Avatar looks in every direction over the vast ocean of sand for Appa. Aang turns around to face Toph angrily.

Aang: (Enraged.) How could you let them take Appa and Melody?! Why didn't you stop them‌?!

Toph: (Defensively.) I couldn't! The library was sinking! You guys were still inside and-

Aang interrupts Toph as he walks over to her.

Aang: (Still enraged.) You could've come to get us. I could've saved him!

Toph: (Turns to face him slightly.) I can hardly feel any vibrations out here. The sandbenders snuck up on me and there wasn't time for –

Aang: (Snaps at Toph in a harsh way.) You just didn't care! You never liked Appa! You wanted him gone!

Aang looks extremely furious at Toph as Katara walks over to him. She puts her hand on his shoulder to try and calm him down.

Katara: Aang, stop it. You know Toph did all she could. She saved our lives.

Sokka is still hugging Faith but is looking out into the desert.

Sokka: Who's going to save our lives now? We'll never make it out of here.

Aang irately walks away from the rest of the group.

Aang: That's all any of you guys care about, yourselves! You don't care whether Appa is okay or not!

Katara: We're all concerned, but we can't afford to be fighting now.

Faith moves away from Sokka and towards Aang. She gently grabs his hand and he turns to look at her. After a minute of silence he breaks away.

Aang: (In a cold, hard tone.) I'm going after Appa.

Aang flies off. Faith calls after him.

Faith: Aang, wait!

Aang flies away from the rest of the group who stand by the large crater created by the disappeared library. Faith is still looking in the direction Aang took off.

Katara: We'd better start walking. We're the only people who know about the solar eclipse. We have to get that information to Ba Sing Se.

The group starts walking in the same direction as Aang took off to, with Katara leading the way. Sokka picks Faith up and carries her on his back. Toph holds onto Katara's hand.

Sokka: You think if we dig out the giant owl, he'll give us a ride?

Faith, Katara, Sokka and Toph, all exhausted and dehydrated, are still wandering through the desert. Sokka stops to take Momo off his chest and use his wings to create some shade, causing Toph to crash into him.

Sokka: (Annoyed.) Can't you watch where you're... (His eyes widen in comprehension as he sees who bumped into him.)

Toph: No.

Sokka: Right. Sorry.

Faith looks down at the sand as Katara turns around to encourage them.

Katara: Come on guys, we've got to stick together.

Sokka's clothes stick to Toph. He tries to free himself by pushing her away.

Sokka: If I sweat anymore, I don't think sticking together will be a problem.

An irritated Toph places her hand on Sokka's face and pushes him, freeing them both. Faith  (still on Sokka's back) uses AirBending to keep the two up straight

Toph: Katara, can I have some more water?

Katara: Okay, but we've got to try to conserve it.

Katara bends four small blobs of water out of her pouch and three of them into the mouths of Sokka, Toph and Momo. Faith bends her water and seems to separate a green looking liquid and drinking the clear liquid. Sokka circulates the water in his mouth before swallowing it.