Chapter 11: The serpents pass

The team is situated at a waterfall pond. Sokka is surveying a map. Toph is sitting with her feet in the water, moving it back and forth. Aang is swimming with Faith while Katara is located at the top of the lake near the waterfall. Aang goes underwater for a moment and bends an ice cube around himself for amusement. Faith laughs and breaks the ice causing Aang to chase her.

Katara: (Excitedly.) Waterbending bomb! Yeah! (Jumps into the water.)

The splash sends Aang and Faith out of the water and soaks Sokka, Toph, and the maps which he tried to protect.

Sokka: (Sarcastically.) Sure, five thousand year-old maps from the spirit library. Just splash some water on 'em.

Katara: Sorry. (Rinses her hair dry and bends the water off the map.)

Aang: So, did you figure out what route we're going to take?

Sokka: Okay, we just got out of the desert, so we must be around here. And we need to go to Ba Sing Se, which is here. It looks like the only passage connecting the south to the north is this sliver of land called the Serpent's Pass.

Toph: You sure that's the best way to go?

Faith: Yeah, I've heard of that place before and they weren't saying good things.

Sokka: It's the only way. I mean, it's not like we have Appa to fly us there.

Katara: (Quietly.) Shush up about Appa. Can't you at least try to be sensitive?

Aang: Katara, it's okay. I know I was upset about losing Appa before, but I just want to focus on getting to Ba Sing Se and telling the Earth King about the solar eclipse.

Katara: (Surprised.) Oh... well, okay. I'm glad you're doing better.

Sokka: Then to Ba Sing Se we go. No more distractions.

Suddenly, three refugees arrive.

Than: Hello there, fellow refugees!

Aang: So, you guys are headed to Ba Sing Se, too?

Than: Sure are. We're trying to get there before my wife Ying has her baby.

Katara: Great! We can travel through the Serpent's Pass together.

The three refugees look up in shock.

Ying: The Serpent's Pass? Only the truly desperate take that deadly route!

Faith: (Smirks.) Hah told ya! No one has said anything positive about it.

Toph: Deadly route. (Punches Sokka in the arm.) Great pick, Sokka!

Sokka: Well, we are desperate.

Than: You should come with us to Full Moon Bay. Ferries take refugees across the lake. It's the fastest way to Ba Sing Se.

Ying: And it's hidden, so the Fire Nation can't find it.

Katara: Hmm... peaceful ferry ride or deadly pass?

At Full Moon Bay.

Katara: I can't believe how many people's lives have been uprooted by the Fire Nation.

Faith: It's kind of sad to think about.

Than: We're all looking for a better life, safe behind the walls of Ba Sing Se.

A ferry departs in the background.

Ticket Lady: I told you already... no vegetables on the ferry! One cabbage slug could destroy the entire ecosystem of Ba Sing Se! Security!

A platypus bear destroys the cabbage cart.

Cabbage merchant: Ahhh! My cabbages! (He is carried away.)