[34] Stories

At this point, Kagami does not understand why she hasn't moved back in with her brother yet. She is walking into town perfectly fine by herself, only with a little help from Yoshino here and there. But she has walked her way into the restaurant and sat down without any mishaps so far.

Though Kagami has just noticed something while walking into the restaurant, yes Choza and Inoichi are sitting in a large booth towards the back of the restaurant, but so are their wives and children.

A larger crowd than expected. But not the end of the world.

Kagami keeps a straight face as she makes her way towards the booth, though it wouldn't matter if she hadn't because her mask would have covered it from view.

Shikaku smiles widely at his friends, as if he hadn't seen them in years, Shikamaru doing the same to Choji. Though the said boy was too busy giving Kagami an odd look for her choice of attire. On the other hand, Ino was in shock, staring at the girl with her mouth hanging open.

Her and her mother have dressed up in matching kimonos for the occasion, but they are wearing brighter, flowery designs. Kagami and Yoshino do match slightly, but Kagami is wearing a very formal dress, and Ino knows that Yoshino has more informal clothing. A conspiracy has formed.

The four squeeze into the booth, they all fit, just. A few are shoved right up against each other. Kagami does mind, in root you have to share one concrete room with 2 others. She's not fussed about space, though Shikamaru does seem to be a little uncomfortable squished up to a girl he barely knows.

The night is going well, the conversations are flowing and nobody has asked Kagami a single question.

"Shikamaru the Chunin exams are on in a few days, you should watch it." Shikaku looks at his child.

Ino and Choji snicker lightly, their parents giving them odd glances.

"I know Dad," Shikaku continues to look at his child through the corner of his eye as he takes a sip of his sake. "I'm competing."

Sake sprays everywhere. The two other families look at the boy in shock.

"What, that means you two competed as well." Choza stares down Ino and Choji.

"Yeah we did, we got kicked out at the preliminary stage." Ino scratches the back of her head sheepishly.

"And you didn't tell us?!" Ino's mother looks at her child in shock.

"How did your lazy ass get through and not Ino and Choji?" Yoshino leans over to look at her child.

Kagami almost laughed at this, but hid it with a simple smile as she grabs another piece of meat and eats it while the attention is elsewhere.

Yoshino continues, "and why didn't you tell us?"

Shikamaru sighs, "Because it's such a drag." He rolls his gaze over everyone on the table. "Plus Kagami got through too."

Kagami chokes on her meat, not expecting the sudden attention. She glares at the boy sitting next to her. Her mind running through every way to discreetly kill him and dispose of his body.

"It's not fair she got through! I had to go against her and she's an Anbu." Ino whines, throwing her arms up.

Kagami looks at the girl, "If you hadn't gone against me, you would have been paired against Sakura Haruno. You are both evenly matched so you would have both been disqualified anyway."

Ino scoffs, her face going red, she is obviously about to explode before she suddenly smirks. Kagami narrows at her.

"How would you know who was going to be paired with who?" Ino gives a victorious look before Kagami rolls her eyes and grabs some more meat.