[37] Battle

"I forfeit."

Kagami almost laughs as the pineapple haired boy forfeits. She had seen it coming, but expected it slightly less when the boy had started to win. She is fine with the boy's outcome, everyone else not so much.

Naruto is screaming at the boy, telling him that if he had waited a little longer he would have won the fight, whereas Ino was not only experiencing disappointment but extreme second-hand embarrassment from the boy.

The boy walks out the gate, Temari ahead of him. He notices Kagami waiting for him at the end. Protocol, she must make sure there is no dirty play as the competitors walk off. He gives her a sly look, trying to figure out her standing on the outcome of his fight.

She gives him a plain look, as if he should already know her answer, but she gives him a nod to make sure. He smiles a little, happiness swelling inside his chest. That's when he sighs heavily, giving up on his game. The odds are against him but it's too much work to pull them into his favour.

Kagami glances at him when he stops next to her, confused as to why he would. He needs first aid to check him over, its protocol.

"You need to go to the first aid-mh!"

Kagami becomes flustered and her face grows bright red, she had not expected that. Shikamaru just leant over and pressed his lips lightly to her cheek before continuing on his way. [i'm cackling my way to heaven]

Kagami's eyes are wide as she makes her way back up to the contestant balcony.

"Hey, wasn't I supposed to fight first? Believe it!" Naruto turns around, pointing to himself.

"The matches were changed last minute to throw off any leaked information." Neji stands quietly at the door, next to Kagami who is still slightly dazed.

"Huh? Who?" Naruto glances around, squinting at the Anbu sitting in the crowd.

Neji glances at the girl standing next to him, who now has her face in her hands, her ears visibly red. Naruto turns around again, much to the delight of the San Siblings and squints at Neji, who is still gazing at Kagami.

"Huh? Kagami-chan?" The entire balcony looks at the girl now who has squatted down to the ground, covering her face with her hands and rubbing her eyes aggressively.

She flinches a little at the sounding of her name. She glances up from her hands at the boy, "What?"

The boy jolts backwards away from her cold tone, absolutely frightened for his life.

'I haven't done anything to annoy her since she came back. Maybe Kagami-chan really does hate me.'

Tears flow rapidly down Naruto's face as he once again side hugs Shikamaru, muttering about how he will one day have Kagami as a best-friend. Kagami suddenly bolts straight up, suddenly disappearing from her spot and onto the railing of the balcony. She just felt an odd chakra, one she hasn't felt before.

She glances around the audience, relaxing physically when she notices the Anbu scattered within the rows of civilians and the rich. For some reason, something was nagging at her in the back of her mind. Something big.

"Naruto Uzumaki vs Neji Hyuga!"

Suddenly Naruto's excitement plummets as the announcement calls out. He follows Neji out to the battleground, a little nervous for what may happen within the next few minutes.

Kagami believes in him, she may not believe that he will win the fight, but she believes that he will do better then everyone anticipates of him. She chooses not to say anything as he leaves, just a passing nod which he returned with a bright smile and a giddy laugh. She may not know it, but she sure has a lot of an impact on many of those around her.