36: You broke me first

I knew where his spare key was

I knew where his spare key was. I lifted the fourth flower pot resting on the window and snatched the key from below it. I don't know how he could still be so reckless about such things. I unlocked the door and let myself inside. The house seemed empty.

I don't think Nathan is at home so I need to get started and then get the hell out of here.

I ran towards his bedroom and checked for any paperwork that might be related to what my mother is making him do for her. If I have the information by myself then I don't need him. I found nothing though. I walked out of his room and into his little office room. The drawers were locked and there were thousands of files placed on the shelves behind his desk. I couldn't possibly cover them all. I turned around and my hand knocked down a photo frame placed at the corner of his desk.

The glass broke into pieces but the picture remained intact. I carefully picked up the frame without cutting myself. It was a picture from our first date. I was smiling at the camera and he was smiling back at me. I had my arms loosely wound around his waist and his arm was resting on my shoulder. His fingers were lightly tracing my jaw. My head was resting against his chest and the smile on my face was something else. It was one of the happiest days of my life or so I thought. It didn't take him long to show his real face.

It made me realize that no matter how good you have it with someone it all comes crashing down. If a stranger saw this photo then they might think we are living our happily ever after but that's far from the truth. And I don't think I can do that anymore. Put myself out there. Give everything I got to one person in particular who has the power to hurt me the most. After breaking up with Nathan, I stopped getting emotionally involved and now I remember what was the reason.

I'm standing exactly where I was two years ago. Heartbroken and a mess.

"We look good together, don't we?"

Nathan's voice startled me and I dropped the frame again. He walked over to the desk and picked it up, not much caring about the glass shards. I didn't answer him and look away from him when he kept staring at me.

"I was just looking around and I got lost."

I avoided answering his question because I know he was trying to pull here.

"Give me some credit, kitten. I know every little tell of your body. I know when you are lying and right now you are. It's okay, I was actually expecting a visit from you. You don't disappoint. You didn't think I was stupid enough to leave confidential paperwork for anyone to look around, right?"

He kept staring at the frame and then dumped it carelessly on the desk. I almost jumped at the suddenness of his action. I moved around the desk towards the door but he blocked my path.

"Nathan, what the fuck do you want from me?"

It was said with a tired sigh.

"You know the answer to that."