The trip

Jotaro sat in the seat, trying to relax but still glancing around nervously in case there was a stand user. Holly noticed this and put her hand on his shoulder, causing Jotaro ease up slightly. After trying to fall asleep for about thirty minutes, he finally dozed off.

Jotaro opened his eyes to find he was in a large, open field. There were patches of wildflowers here and there, and for some reason, he took care not to step on them. He heard a small voice in the distance, one incredibly recognizable. He sprinted in the direction he heard it. After sprinting for a moment, he tripped over a large rock, falling face first into the grass. He heard footsteps, but couldn't will himself to get up.

"Are you okay..?" A familiar voice said.
Jotaro looked up hesitantly, to be met with Kakyoin's lavender eyes staring at him. He jolted up in surprise, Kakyoin stumbling backwards. He caught himself and straightened his hat. Jotaro scooted away from him quickly, tearing up a bit.

"K-Kakyoin?!" He stuttered.

"Yeah?"

Jotaro shook his head and looked away.

"This isn't real." Jotaro remarked, going to pull the brim of his hat over his eyes, only to realize it was still in Kakyoin's possession.

"It's not?" Kakyoin tilted his head to the side.

"No."

Kakyoin offered a hand to help Jotaro up. Jotaro took it after a minute and stood up. Kakyoin began to walk away, but realized Jotaro was still clutching his hand. He let out an awkward giggle as his face turned red, before looking up at Jotaro and smiling politely.

"Could you maybe let me go?" Kakyoin asked awkwardly.

"No," Jotaro said, refusing to make eye contact with his beloved.

"Please?"

"No."

Kakyoin sighed and leaned on Jotaro. He looked at the grass, then back up at Jotaro.

"What do you mean? About this not being real, I mean. I've been here for a bit, so..." Kakyoin trailed off, clearly confused.

"You aren't real. Just a figment of my imagination..." Jotaro insisted.

"You seem sure of yourself, even though I'm pretty sure I'm real."

Jotaro shook his head and pulled him closer, enveloping him in a hug. Kakyoin turned very red at this, but let it happen.

"Kakyoin?"

"Yeah..?"

"I missed you."

"What do you mean?"

"You've been dead for almost a year..!" Jotaro looked up, tears in his eyes.

"Wh-What?!"

Kakyoin escaped the hug and took a few steps away from Jotaro, his eyes widening. The ground seemed to crumble around them, leaving a small circle for them both to stand on. Kakyoin grabbed Jotaro's hat and held it onto his head, not wanting it to fall. He stared at Jotaro with a horrified expression as Jotaro looked away. He stood on his tiptoes and waved his hand in front of Jotaro.

"Hey! What do you mean!? Answer me Jotaro!"

Jotaro glared at him, making direct eye contact. Kakyoin stumbled back and started to tear up.

"What do you think I said?" Jotaro questioned.

"I thought- I mean-"
Kakyoin sighed and looked away.

"I can still hear him, you know." Kakyoin glanced at Jotaro, then behind himself.

"What?"

"Dio. He's still here. He'll occasionally talk to me, and tell me about how bad I messed up..."

Jotaro stepped up cautiously and embraced him, holding the hat with his hand. He buried his face into Kakyoin's hair, and shut his eyes.

"Sorry."

"For what? You can't exactly hurt an apparently dead person's feelings."

Kakyoin chuckled weakly and looked away. Jotaro only hugged him tighter.
Jotaro sat straight up, his eyes wide and his breath short. He wished he had held Kakyoin longer, tighter. He wished he hadn't let him die. He wished-

Holly glanced over at him, looking away from her book.

"Oh, you're finally awake! Good news, we only have about two hours left!"

Jotaro hardly heard her as he buried his face in his hands.

"Jotaro? Do you need to talk?" Holly rested a hand on his shoulder.

"No."

"Please..?"

"I had a bad dream." Jotaro looked up, wiping his eyes with his sleeve.

"Oh. Do you want to tell me about it?"

"It was about him." Jotaro looked out of the window.

"You miss him, huh." Holly looked away.

"Maybe." Jotaro glanced at her and went to adjust his hat, but facepalmed after remembering its absence.
They sat in silence, before Holly went back to reading her book.