The Attempt.

Kakyoin woke up, the bright lights causing his vision to blur. He would never get used to those. He sat up and glanced around the small room, letting out a quiet sigh when he saw nobody. But at least no one was watching him sleep or anything. That would be weird.

His thoughts got interrupted by the door to his room slamming open. He jumped and looked over almost immediately, calming down when he saw it was just Jotaro.

"Hey." Jotaro nodded casually and shut the door behind him.

"Hello." Kakyoin wanted to say more, but stopped himself.

"So... what's up?" He pulled up a chair to the hospital bed and sat down.

"This place is boring. Other than that, not much. You got some anecdotes for me?" Kakyoin smiled.

"Meh. I finally got out of the stupid leg cast and got a brace instead. Other than that, the story's practically over, and I don't know what happened to you exactly. Actually, that's a lie. I don't know what happened before the thing that happened to you happened."

"That hardly makes sense but okay." Kakyoin shrugged.

"So when are you getting outta here?" Jotaro yawned.

"Soon, today I have-" Kakyoin was cut off by a nurse entering the room.

"Hello Kakyoin-San, are you ready for therapy?" She plastered on a polite smile.

"Oh, uh, sure?" He glanced at Jotaro, then back at the nurse. He summoned Hierophant Green and used it to help him off the bed and into a wheelchair.

"I could help, you know." Jotaro stood up and walked over to Kakyoin, only to be stopped by Green.

"I-It's fine, I got it." Kakyoin was clearly feeling some mild discomfort, but there was no way he'd let Jotaro help him.

"Okay then. Can I at least come with you to your therapy thing?" Jotaro took a small step back.

"Sure." Kakyoin settled into the wheelchair and looked at him. The nurse held the door for them as Jotaro began to push Kakyoin.

After a minute or two the trio made it to the physical therapy room. It was a medium sized room with one wall that was mostly glass along with a glass door. There were various walking practices, some with ramps and even a few outside. Jotaro rolled Kakyoin over to one of the exercises, one that had two bars on either side and was flat on the ground. He helped Kakyoin up before he grabbed onto the bars. Jotaro took a step back and crossed his arms, watching Kakyoin.

Kakyoin had made it about a third of the way when he felt his legs start to give out. He held on to the bars tighter as he fell to the ground. Jotaro rushed over extremely quickly, almost as if he teleported, and offered a hand to help him. Kakyoin reached for it, instead crumpling to the ground. As the nurse walked over, Jotaro kneeled down next to him with slight difficulty due to his leg brace and noticed how heavily he was breathing.

"Kakyoin, you okay?" Jotaro said in his usual monotone voice, hiding his concern.

"Fi-me. I'm fine. J-Just surprised." Kakyoin said between breaths.

The nurse offered a hand to help Kakyoin up, only to be quickly swatted away by Jotaro. "Leave us alone, woman. He's my friend so I'll help him."

The nurse nodded and took a step back, clearly intimidated by Jotaro.

"It's fine, I can handle myself." Kakyoin mentioned after taking a few deep breaths. He attempted to lift himself using Green, but only got to about halfway before partially giving up. He glanced at Jotaro and sighed. Jotaro offered his hand, which Kakyoin took, and attempted to lift him up. Kakyoin held onto his hand tightly, and used Hierophant Green to bring the wheelchair over. Jotaro helped Kakyoin back to his wheelchair, earning a sigh of relief from the redhead.

"Maybe I'm not ready to walk yet..." Kakyoin mumbled.

"You'll probably be able to eventually." Jotaro said as he wheeled Kakyoin back to his room.

678 words