-6-

Astraea Grey

I scrunched my nose up as I tighten my ponytail as I looked at my reflection. I stared at my reflection, I was wearing some Nike joggers with a plain white fitted tee. It was hard seeing myself from the flickering lights of the bathroom due to the girls turning them off and on. 

"Girls". My gym teacher, Ms. Mandy's voice boomed through the entire girls locker-room. The girls stopped playing around and stared dead eyed at out teacher. She was a short, petite lady with her hair in a slick bun and her everyday attire consisted of running clothes. "Gym now". The girls groaned as she opened the door, gesturing for them to get out.

I stood in front of the mirror taking my ponytail out. As I stared at myself longer I began seeing that I looked more like a potato rather than someone who can actually pull off wearing a ponytail. 

"Ms. Grey" I hummed in response running my fingers through my blonde locks. "Do you think your special. Or do the rules not apply to you?" I turned my head slightly to see her arching an eyebrow at me with her hands on her waist. She was tapping her left foot as she awaited for an response.

"I mean my parents call me special. My friends. My family.  Even the teachers." I shrugged my shoulders "So I guess so".

"Ms. Grey out" She pointed her pointer finger towards the red locker-room door. I held my hands up in defense as I walked past her rolling my eyes and scoffing at her.

Like why did we have to do gym. Since freshman year, gym happened to be my favorite class. But that was because our gym teacher at the time allowed a free period. And that meant for me no changing or even running. All I had to do was sit down and receive an A.

Man, the good old days.

I walked out the locker-room, rolling my eyes at the sight. There were girls who were all huddle up sending flirty glances at the boys who were playing some basketball. I rolled my eyes before leaning against the wall. Boys were yelling, and shouting while girls were all whispering. My name was being bounced out the mouths of everyone again. I was seemingly use to my name being used in other peoples mouths around school considering I was well known. But this was a whole different diameter. Boys were staring at me more than usual and girls were giving me even more dirty looks like I was the gum stuck on the bottom of their shoe.

"Ms. Grey get your behind out onto that court". I let out a groan at the sound of my teachers voice. "Girls stop the talking and get onto that court and begin playing". Some of the girl's groaned while others squealed as they were going to be playing with the boys who some of them were now shirtless.

I wrapped my arm around my waist, holding my stomach. "Uh, you see, I'm on my period and my cramps are hurting really, I mean really bad".

A scoff left Coach's Mandy's mouth at my splendid excuse. "I wont hesitate to fail you".

That was a real tempting offer. But I couldn't afford to fail gym, the easiest subject according to my family who loved sports.

I huffed out a breath of air before standing up. I turned to my right to see Coach Mandy giving me a satisfy smirk. "How are you and your brother related" She mumbled before turning walking over to where her office door was located.

I stuck my middle finger at her retreating figure. "I feel bad for your parents for making such a mistake and having to live with it everyday" I shouted but at the sound of her door closing I'm guessing she didn't hear. Or maybe she did and just didn't feel like going at it with me. It was becoming the usual for us.

I turned my gaze back to the court. My eyebrows scrunched together at a circle started forming. Girls who happened to be short were going on there tippy toes trying to see over the towering boys. People were bringing their phones out and chanting "Fight, Fight" . Being intrigued by the scene I pushed my body off the wall, walking over to the crowd.