prologue

What do you desire?

Money and wealth?
Honor and pride?
Authority and power?
Revenge?
Or something that transcends all?

Whatever you desire is here.

That's what I was told, the Tower would have whatever I want. It was pathetic for a young girl like me to even try to escape. I just kept hoping that the gods would hear my prayer to set me free.

Freedom, I wanted freedom. I needed to be free.

My breathing was unsteady as my hair of brown and purple were matted on my sticky forehead. Though I was sweating, my palms felt cold and I was hugging my pink robes to stop myself from shivering. Body trembling, I crawled my way deeper in the cave, silent like a mouse, hiding in a side cranny covered by a boulder.

I don't want to go back. My oldest sister would force me to marry off a man or simply just kill me as if she were the real ruler of the clan when in fact, she's just a phony. Father wasn't supposed to die, and I wasn't supposed to be stumbling in the dark and hiding for my life. I hate them, I hate it all... I never wanted any of this mess.

"She can't be that far!" A man shouted, holding his torch to shine on the hazy cave. I clamped a hand over my mouth, shaking and sweating. That was my betrothed, Tridori Minakto. My sisters were trying to send me away because no one wants me anymore.

I don't want to get married, I'm still a teenager who horribly celebrated her birthday a few days ago.

"Sir, shinsu is really weak in that area and the place is so narrow. Are you sure you want to search here?" One of his men stuttered, his feet thumping lightly, echoing throughout the cavern.

"Yes, of course," I heard him scoff. "She's a precious prize I have fought hard to win. Besides, she needs to have some lessons about manners." A cold feeling shivers down my spine, my stomach churned as I wanted to gag. Who knows what he'd do? Will he torture me with his weapons of words or blades?

Please don't find me, I closed my eyes. I don't want to go back.

"Are you sure about that?" a rabbit-like man appeared in a flash behind me. Suited in a coat of black and purple, he held a staff with mystical orbs of blue on both ends. "I can help you, but you can never go back."

"Yes," I murmured as fast as I could. Just as I uttered those words, guilt washed over me. My younger brother would be left in the hands of treacherous monsters who call themselves great humans. But it was he who told me to leave.

My mentor, In-Su, and my caretaker, Aera said I should run away. My mother, as well as my younger sister Lili. I knew she went ahead to the Tower; where we longed to be many years ago, I always hoped she was alive and fine up there, but I know she's well because she's strong. I should've ran away with her to the place of the free.

I was hesitant, but all their efforts would go to waste if I threw away my chances.

"Yes," I finally said, vehemently without any defiance.

With a majestic wave of his scepter, blue light wrapped around me. This presence felt so warm and gentle as it caressed my skin, something I have not felt in ages. The men's voices were drowning in the background as I was enveloped in the divine water known as shinsu.

I glanced at my savior, wanting to thank him. But his eyes were boring mine, I was staring back at an endless void of darkness. His face gleamed with interest and excitement, a devious grin crept up his lips. "Welcome to the Tower."

"