twelve

I just want to say this was one of the cringiest chapters I've written. It's pretty mediocre, I'm apologizing in advance.

Variiya's PoV

I made it up and tried to lose the Ranker through the dark corridors, leading him to the safe zone so he can't attack me or any of my teammates, but I kept hearing his footsteps behind me.

Shit, it wasn't powerful enough to stop him, he just keeps on catching up.

Suddenly, a gloved hand gripped my wrist. I screamed and closed my eyes shut. Thousands of memories flooded through my brain, remembering how a thin rod pierced my skin multiple times.

"Woah, woah," Said the voice. I slowly peeked to see that it was the Ranker, Quant, a look of startlement and irritation. "Help me out here."

I was taken aback. "What do you mean?" I whispered, trying to free myself from his grip.

"Your boyfriend told me that someone is trying to kill your Light Bearer. I'm tracing her Light House and it's leading me to your safety zone." He explained, letting go of me.

"Who?" I had no idea who he was talking about... until 7 seconds later. My face flushed red and I waved my arms in front of me. "HE IS NOT MY BOYFRIEND."

"Anyways," Quant said, ignoring me and my blushing face. "You gotta help your teammate out. You said so yourself."

I glared at him. "Fine,"

I followed the man through the maze to the safety zone. Michelle Light? Why would anyone want to attack Michelle Light? The other Light House is still active, meaning someone from another position is attacking her. But why? Is she that bad of a person?

I shook my head. Nah, that's not possible, Calliope told me otherwise.

"You say you'll do what god should have done? A Regular like you?" Quant scoffed. I peered to his side, he must've found the traitor. "You should know better. The god on this stage is me."

I stopped my tracks to see two people standing, bathed in light. Hoh was holding Rachel at knifepoint. "W-why?" I gasped, my purple eyes with fear and confusion.

Hoh's eyes were of a madman, a distorted look on his face. "How come you're here? W-what's this? This wasn't part of the plan."

The horned man pulled the Light Bearer closer to him, clamping her mouth shut to stop her from screaming.

A burning sensation ignited within me. "Those that would disregard their comrades so easily are even worse than trash." My hands were shaking, not from the fear from my wounded wrist, not from the exhaustion from the shinsu I released, but from confusion.

"What the hell are you doing... pointing a knife at your teammate?" Quant asked with a scary expression.

"Um.. this is--" Hoh stammered, sweating profusely.

"It doesn't seem like you're competing for the same position. What is this, hm?" The Ranker continued, steadily walking forward with a straight face. "How can you do that during the test I'm administering? Do you think I'm stupid? Was I too good to you guys?"

Hoh tried to pull Rachel back with him. "You think you can run from me?" Quant yelled and lunged forward.

That's when I felt another presence.

"Look out!" I screamed and just in time, the Ranker stopped himself from getting impaled from a red spear zipping towards him.

Damn it, I thought. They went back to the safety zone, now Quant can't get them. I could save her, I needed to save Michelle. She's innocent, she doesn't deserve to die. (Variiya, you sweet little child 😐)