five

Variiya's PoV

I was already so tired. Why were most of the tests consecutive? Sure, we had some breaks in between, but why did we need more?

Is it one that requires strength? No. This was a diagnostic test. They tested us on strength, teambuilding, and vulnerability to shinsu. The last would be... mind? I groaned and buried my face in my hands. I'm surrounded by a bunch of dense goofballs and I'm losing my mind every second.

"Those of you who passed the test, make a line!" Called out a woman with pigtails and a bee-like costume. "The next test will be on a first-come, first-served basis! Hi, I'm the Test Guide Yellowy." No offense, but what kind of name is that... "The test will be conducted by one team after another. For the remaining teams, wait and follow the guide robot's instructions."

The first team (I thought it was quite unfortunate to be the first) entered the room. I was deeply curious about how the test would turn out.

"Ms. Variiya!" Said Bam, his team was in front of us. Blue-hair shot him a look that possibly meant 'Seriously?' but quickly killed it. "Guys, this is Ms. Variiya, she's a really nice person. That's Mr. Rak over there." He pointed to the towering giant crocodile. Eh, I will still call him Mr. Croc. "This is Mr. Khun." He beamed at the blackhearted son of Khun beside him. Does he not like his name that's why he's called by his last name?

"And I'm Calliope!" Piped in the little girl from nowhere.

"Oh lord, Calliope," I nearly yelped out. Good thing I didn't, I would've died with embarrassment. "Don't do that. That's the second time you did that today." I murmured.

Khun sighed. "The wait is sooooo boring." Bam, on the other hand, did not look bored at all. He kept looking at the skylight ceiling. "What's so interesting Bam?" He asked.

The timid-looking boy was startled and looked back down. "Huh? N-no, it's just..." He mumbled. "I've never been to such a bright place before.

I was surprised by his words. He's never been in a bright place before? Was he kept in cages just like me?

"Um, Mr. Khun," Bam said.

"Yes?" Khun asked.

"That blue thing... is that what's called the 'sky'?"

His words have seriously piqued my interest. How does he not know that?

"Yeah, why are you asking about obvious things? It's like you've never seen the sky before."

"Oh, so it is the sky!" All my teammates were looking curiously at him. Perhaps Myung and Calliope and his team were just as confused as I was. "I know that! If you keep going up into the sky you can get to the bright stars!"

"Huh?" Whispered Calliope to me. "What's he saying?"

"What are you talking about Bam?" Khun asked, blank-faced. "Stars are just a legend. Even if you go up, the only thing you'll reach is the floor's roof. That blue sky is created by shinsu. And the bright thing at night is just a light ball."

Hehe, would I be made fun of if I actually believe in that legend? I believe in the moon. It's real. It's the reason I'm alive, it's the reason I'm here...

"I heard there are stars in the outside world, but they don't exist, at least not here in the Tower." Khun continued.

Bam was clearly bothered, stammering with his answers. I turned around to pretend I didn't hear that peculiar conversation. Wait. A boy who seems like he doesn't know anything about the Tower, asks about the stars of the Outside... Is he an-- no. I heard the test for Irregulars is impossible. There's no way he's one.