two

Variiya's PoV

"Mic test! Mic test! Everyone stay where you are!" Said the announcer. I stood up and brushed off the dust on my pink robes. "The first test is now over!"

Calliope and I sighed in relief, knowing we didn't have to have more bloodshed and the announcer continued. "All remaining Regulars, stop what you're doing and listen carefully! Any Regulars fighting from now on will be eliminated!"

"That's a shame," A voice from above whistled. I thought it was the blue-haired son of Khun from back then. I snarled and turned around, keeping my guard up.

A man who looked like an exact representation of the Grim Reaper appeared behind us. His face seemed human. He had a shock of white hair splayed messily under a heavy black hood. His eyes are covered by a mask but I can still see his red eyes. A menacing grin was quickly replaced with a pout after the announcement. "I was about to kill you, ladies, lucky you."

Calliope yelped and grabbed my leg. I placed my hand on her head to comfort her. "What do you want?" I tried to keep my voice steady.

The man shrugged and lowered his scythe. "Isn't it obvious? You ladies were supposed to be my kills. Damn it, why is the test over?"

In a flash, he jumped down, pouncing on me. Calliope screamed, stumbling back to the grass. In the nick of time, I whipped up my blade, locking it with his curved one. I gritted my teeth, struggling to push back his immense strength.

I was losing grip of my dagger, and my footing was shaky. Trembling, I used my last resort: my skill of the divine water of shinsu. The gray orb pulsing brightly on my other hand shot a jetstream at the Grim Reaper, knocking him off of me, hitting his back on the giant rock.

I lowered my dagger. Surely this man doesn't want to be eliminated because of his childish play. I glanced at the "cube" making announcements.

"To the 200 Regulars who passed the first test, congratulations!" It blared. "It may seem a bit rushed... But a short second test will be carried out right away!" I studied the ground and fiddled with my necklace, trying to steady my thinking. I didn't want to take the next test immediately, why won't they let us rest?

"Why now?" Calliope cried. She seemed terrified because a man carrying around a giant scythe was about to kill the two of us.

I tried to calm her down. "It's okay, it's okay." I hushed.

"Haha," The host laughed. "Don't be so disappointed, the next test is really simple." There was a pause to make our situation even more dramatic. "Now here is the challenge for the second test. It's called 'Getting Teammates'!

"There are 200 remaining Regulars, among those who remain, find two to be your teammates." They cleared their throat and continued. "In short, this test is to make a team of three! For reference, we are giving you a five-minute time limit!"

I sweatdropped. I just said a while ago that I didn't want to make teammates. Oh, well, if I don't, I'd be eliminated.

"What? No!" Mr. Crazy yelled at the cube. "I work alone!"

I see what they're doing here. Since people are all fighting to get into the top 200, the closest people they're with are their opponents. I looked at Mr. Crazy with disdain. We're being forced to make friends with our enemies. Great.

"So mister," Calliope began timidly. I admired her courage. "We were wondering--"

"No."

"Okay, starting now, make a team of three! Of course, if you don't make a team in five minutes, you are eliminated! Oh, one more thing. To be considered a team, you need to be touching some part of your teammates' bodies when the time limit is over!"