nine

Variiya's PoV

The son of Khun held me by my right wrist harshly, anger flaring through his face. Horrid memories flashed through my head as he pressed my wrist harder. "What did you do?" He repeated, holding his knife closer to my throat.

"I'm trying to help you," I muttered, trembling under his grasp. He was pressing my 'mental wound' that I really do not want to remember.

He gave me a look of confusion, his grip on my loosened.

I took my hand back and rubbed it. "I'm trying to speed up Bam's recovery."

I could tell he was really confused because how should he know how I knew how to heal?

"You're probably wondering why I'm a Wave Controller after I fought you," I mumbled and became very interested in my boots. "I was using shinsu enhancement the entire time. Though I wonder why they never called me out because I probably violated the Floor's contract."

I pointed to Bam's door. "I'm just hoping my shared shinsu enhancement can wake him up by tomorrow."

"And why are you doing this?" His voice dripped with venom, he glared at me accusingly.

"He's a nice boy, he tried to befriend me," I said as a matter of factly.

"So you're making allies now just because of that little girl?" Khun scoffed.

Oh, so he viewed me as someone who's naive.

"What?" I said defensively and realized he was quite right. I may have lowered my guard just because of Calliope. "I'm just returning the favor, I don't have a lot of friends and I'm bad at making them." My voice trailed off. I am such an idiot, why in the world did I just tell that to that son of Khun.

I abruptly turned the opposite direction, my face reddening from mortification. "Just let me help him, even though he's my competition, he doesn't deserve to just fail here." I walked away, my boots clicking the floor as I ran.

•••・・・・•••

Khun's PoV

I do not know what to feel about that girl. Should I trust her? Should I not? The Violet Princess made me feel uneasy. I told Bam not to talk to her and now it seems she has taken interest in Bam. But the words she slipped out made her look vulnerable. I sensed no ill-will but that teammate of hers just gave off a weird signal.

I buried my face in my hands, contemplating whether or not I should ask for her help. I think I could ask her at dinner.

Come to think of it, I haven't seen her in the past days in the cafeteria. Does she not eat? Does she even have Points in the first place?

I met up with Rachel a few days ago, telling me to lie to Bam that she was the one he was looking for. I couldn't help but comply but I learned about new profound hate within me. I don't want him to experience the same pain after I made a mistake. I want to protect him, and I'm sure there are many others who would like to do the same, but I can't help but doubt it.

My mother told me to never trust what people say, and now I'm having a hard time deciding for myself.

But I want to climb the Tower with my teammates. Perhaps she would be a good asset if she passed, and I heard from Bam she was also trying to find someone after being trapped in a 'cage' for so long. Most likely, it wasn't literal but I couldn't help myself but be curious.

A dreadful feeling crept up on me. I had a thought that Bam wouldn't wake up, so I abruptly stood up and went out, hoping to find that mysterious 'princess'.