three

Variiya's PoV

The next test spot was apparently the floating building above the bloody field called Evankhell's Mothership. Calliope still clung to Myung and I as she happily marched through the crowd of Regulars. I remember the look on her face when we passed the first test. She looked so relieved. This child doesn't deserve to see the terrors that await in this tower, yet why is she here?

I studied the place. It looked so tiny on the outside, but it looked like it could hold many rooms. Woah, the architecture looked amazing, having countless of pillars lined up and golden walls that reeked of royalty and authority.

"There are so many people," Calliope said in awe as she looked around. "Myung, Variiya, don't you think this is cool?"

"Yeah, yeah," Mr. Crazy said and took back his hand. "I could've been teammates with so many people but I end up with two helpless girls."

I scoffed. "Really? Is that what you think of me?"

He scoffed back at me and turned away. Calliope was busy studying the place, so I thought I should do it too.

There are always people better than you, I recalled my old mentor saying that to 10 year old me. That doesn't mean they're invincible, remember that. On that day, he taught me the essence of analyzing my enemies, the importance of remembering one's faults to turn them into weaknesses. One reason why I escaped alive from that battlefield.

There were more than 150 Regulars. That's a lot. I commented.

My eyes met the familiar blue I've seen in the first test. He stood confidently with his suit and tie, his team an earshot away. He raised up a brow as if teasingly saying 'I thought you don't do alliances'.

I rolled my eyes and looked away. His charisma and charm were all just aspects of him that made him extremely infuriating.

"Why are you looking at him? You find him handsome?" Myung crept up from behind me. I yelped and instantly slapped his face. "Ow!" He said and glared at me.

I glared back at the Grim Reaper. "If you don't want to get slapped, don't sneak up on me like that."

The boy I was looking at seemed to be watching this antic, the corner of his mouth seemed to be stifling a laugh. I shared the death stare at him.

"That boy's a son of Khun you know, blue hair that's a Khun trait. Plus, his bandana has the crest." Myung whispered. That got my attention and gave the Grim Reaper a questioning look. "I think he's the one who got kicked out, I heard a rumor about it."

A Khun, I was right. No wonder he seemed so sly and suspicious. I wonder what his intentions were if I joined his team. I'd really just be used as a pawn in a game of chess. I thought and folded my arms to my chest. My family has a history with them, we're supposed to hate them. But I had always been curious about the other Great Families. Were they all the same with their Family Heads? He was disowned, according to Mr. Crazy, I wonder how.

"I suggest you, no, we stay away from that entire group, Variiya," Myung said, eyeing the group.

"So Bam," I was able to catch their conversation despite being quite far away. The quirks of being left in silence for nearly my entire life. "Who do you think is a formidable enemy?" I felt his stare in my direction. Does he hate me? I thought and gritted my teeth.

"Finally! I gotcha! I will kill you!" My head whipped towards the source. Two Regulars were fighting over, whoops, the redhead doesn't have an arm. I hope he's left-handed because that would be unfortunate. "How are you going to make up for this?"