sixteen

Variiya's PoV

We made our way through the dark cavern, taking twists and turns. "Calliope?" I called out to the little blond girl in front of me. "I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but are you sure you know where you're going?"

Her grass-green eyes dimmed. "Ouch, Variiya,"

I grinned sheepishly. "Okay, sorry, I trust you."

We landed in a dark area. I could see but only thanks to the faint glow of my jaded needle. We were probably in the outer rim of the wine glass cavern.

Suddenly, there was a miniature earthquake from what sounded like a crash from the distance. The stalactites hanging in the ceiling rained down, a rock almost fell on the little girl. "Watch out!" I pushed Calliope away. The small boulder nearly landed on my left foot. Luckily for me, my foot was stuck in the deformation of the rock, however, it would be a matter of seconds until the rock moves again to crush my leg. I couldn't simply just pull it out, the space was too small, and if I try budging it, the boulder will topple on us.

I looked at the girl, dusting herself to get up. Her head was bloody, other rocks must've hit her head.

"Calliope!" I winced and reached my arm out. "Help!"

She groggily nodded and went to the side of the rock to try and push it off of me. Her face suddenly fell. "Variiya, the reason why I went up this Tower is to be recognized by my family. I'm part of the minor branches, and we're all treated like scum. It's hard to be accepted there."

I smiled at her warmly, ignoring the rock for a few seconds. "It's okay, I can help you."

Her eyes sparkled. "Really?" She squealed. "Thank you, Variiya!" pushed the rock...

... and it landed my leg.

I shouted in pain, not expecting this. "Calliope the rock is crushing me!"

She smiled. "I know!"

"W-what?" I stammered. "You said you want me to help you, I can't help you if I don't have my legs!"

Calliope giggled. "Yes, you'll help me this way." Her eyes flashed light like a maniac. "I need to bring you back."

Pain seared through my entire body. I couldn't think rationally, but the nagging voice of premonition in my head was growing louder.

"Back where?" I breathed, trying to pull out my leg only to yelp in pain.

"Back where you belong, silly." The blonde girl brought out a silver rod. My eyes widened as I trembled with fear.

"That's-"

"An Atonement rod, yes." She squatted and waved it in front of my face. "I heard you love these things. I saw it in your wrist." Horrible memories spun around my mind. An Atonement rod was a type of torture for prisoners and criminals to prevent them from escaping. They impale that rod on one's wrist, and since it's made of suspendium, it's hard to break. My family and the Tridori use that device.

Why? Why do you have that Calliope?

Tears spilled down my cheeks. Not because of the pain from the boulder, but the pain because of her actions. "Why? Why would you do this? I trusted you!"

Calliope grabbed my hand, stabbing my wound, and nailing me to the ground, I cried out. "That was your mistake. I'm a Tridori, after all." She shrugged as she pushed the rod lower. "We're all traitors!"

I screamed in agony, No please, no more. My breathing became ragged, my ears were ringing. I began to see black spots. She ripped my hand off from the ground. Because of the flatted top of the nail, it widened my wound. Blood pooled out even faster.