── I'M NEVER NICE

Sunday, December 26, 1965

☆ミ ROSE

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

I WOKE UP to see that it was still fairly dark outside. I looked at the clock and saw that it was still very early the time only being 5:30 A.M. I glanced around the room and saw that I had been sleeping close to Dally while Soda additionally slept near me as well. Two-Bit was also sleeping on the floor along with Steve, Hazel laid silently sleeping in Johnny's arms causing me to smile a bit, and lastly, I noticed Darry and Ponyboy had most likely had left to their bedroom since the television was off and they were nowhere to be seen.

I decided I would go to the bathroom before heading back to bed. I walked to the bathroom and quickly used the toilet before stepping out of the bathroom to see Soda.

"Soda?! You scared the living hell outta me." I exclaimed as he stood in his bedroom appearing exhausted. He laughed seeing my reaction which made me soften a little.

"Sorry, hun I heard you get up. It's still early why are you awake?" he asked as he placed his hands in his pockets.

"I don't know I simply needed to use the restroom." I giggled making him smile some more. He was so charming and I can see why girls were chasing after him like crazy particularly with his sharp blue eyes.

"I should get back to bed before I end up waking the others," I said ending the uncomfortable silence. As I was about to walk out Soda lightly grabbed my hand.

"Wait, Rose." he pulled me closer, and now we were both face to face. I didn't know what to do or what to think. I couldn't just let him down by walking away but what was happening? Why we were so close? These thoughts and questions all flowed through my head at this moment.

"Sod-" but before I could finish he crashed his lips onto mine. At first, I didn't have any clue on what to do but then suddenly realized what was happening and kissed him back. I had seen Soda only as a friend and I felt confused with my feelings. I didn't want to hurt him by not kissing him back but did I actually feel anything other than friendship towards him?

"I'm sorry that was too soon," he told me as he stopped the kiss.

"Yeah, it was Soda. It was a mistake I should get back to bed." He nodded his head as I walked out leaving him alone. I sat there in shock replaying the kiss that had occurred seconds before. It was surreal I had never thought of kissing Sodapop Curtis. For any other girl, this would be fantastic for them so for what reason didn't it feel like that with me? I felt stupid for kissing him. It felt like I had done something incredibly wrong.

"Rose?" I glimpse over to see Dal sitting up rubbing his eyes. He appeared extremely hungover after the previous night. I rolled my eyes seeing him before grabbing the blanket and covering it over me hoping he would just leave me alone. I didn't feel like dealing with Dal after I had recently kissed Soda in the next room over. I attempted to shut my eyes to sleep but however, instead heard the sound of Dal lighting up a cancer stick right away I got up and gave him an irritated look.

"Really Dal it's hardly even 6 in the morning and you're already lighting up a weed?" I whispered shouted at him who without a doubt ignored me and proceeded to smoke.

"Want one princess?" I shook my head and got up and snatched my blanket moving away from him next to Two-Bit and Steve. He chuckled as he followed me to continue to bother me something he seemed to enjoy doing these days.

"Dal can you be nice and leave me alone like an actual gentleman," I whispered yet again I didn't want the rest to wake up just because Dal and I were bickering over hardly anything.

"I'm never nice Rose you should know that by now." he laughed and with his immature self blew the smoke in my face. After about then I had enough and frantically walked outside. I sat on the porch steps placing my hands on my forehead. I don't know why but every single damn time I was at the Curtis home Dal managed to find a new way to upset me even more.

"Alright look just come back inside. It's cold and dark." I turned around to see Dal still obviously smoking. I flipped him off and went back to gazing at the empty road.

"Why would you care anyway? All you do is constantly annoy me for no reason. I get I'm a soc' now but the gang doesn't seem to mind and plus they are starting to forgive me even Steve is and that's startling so why can't you?" I asked looking up at him who seems to be thinking about how to respond to my question.

"Because it ain't you Rose. The Rose I knew never thought about no pretty outfits or how her hair was. And remember the times you made fun of Cherry Valance now you're best friends with her. You're like the blonde Cherry." he explained. I scoffed I was nothing like Cherry. Cherry was a sweet girl at times but she disliked the East Siders and greasers I never disliked them as she had. Maybe we dressed similarly but I wasn't anything like her personality-wise I just wasn't and I knew I wasn't I just couldn't be.

"I've changed Dal. I was eleven years old during those times. I've grown up my 17th birthday is just around the corner. Of course, my life would change once my family earned more money when we moved to the West Side. And I know I ain't like Cherry because she despises greasers and I know I don't. I don't even despise you even though you're an awful person to me so you're wrong about me Dal." I clarified ensuring he heard every word I spoke. I didn't want him to see me as just another ignorant soc'. I wanted him to see me as the friend I was to him just like when we were kids. He sighed before stepping back inside and closing the door.

"Boys are confusing," I mumbled to myself as I waited a few minutes before I stepped back inside the house. I had decided to sleep next to Two-Bit and Steve knowing that Dal was certainly still awake. This morning had gone more unexpected then I thought it would be and I don't even want to think about any later events that would come from this.